1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Which of these laptop should i buy?

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by Neon32, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

Hey guys i have decided to get a new laptop and now I have finally got two lenovo laptops in mind. I need an opinion on which of these 2 laptop should i buy :

Option 1 : 80L000HLIN
    Lenovo G50-80 Notebook (80L000HLIN) (4th Gen Intel Core i3 1.7ghz- 4GB RAM- 1TB HDD- 39.62 cm (15.6)- DOS- ATI EXO Pro R5 M330 2GB Graphics)

Option 2 :80E502Q8IH
    Lenovo G50-80 (80E502Q8IH) Notebook (5th Gen Intel Core i3 2ghz- 4GB RAM- 1TB HDD- 39.62 cm (15.6)- DOS)

Primary use:
    Coding(visual studio, Android Dev Tool, Qt, Eclipse), Photoshop,Light Video Editing works, internet, Movies

Secondary use:It would be awesome if these laptop could run PCSX2,Dolphin,ePCXe,psp emulators etc at decent speeds.
    Running small games like gta san andereas, Age of empires etc

One question i have got is will the intel hd5500 and the ati card support OpenGL3?

Also will the difference between 1.7ghz and 2ghz(speed of the above mentioned laptops ) really matter when it comes to gaming and running ADT's device emulators, Pcsx2, Dolphin softwares?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  2. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

You would need faster higher clock speeds to be running an emulator like Pcsx2.
    I'm sure the Specs would qualify for you Primary purpose but i doubt you could run many Recent games or Emulators on it though.

By the way i wouldn't recommend even using PCSX2 on your lap believe me. If you do, install core temp and keep an eye on the CPU temp.

3. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

2ghz wont be enough?

I use emulators in my pc so most of gaming is with the pc, so playing games on laptop isn't a priority. But it wouldn't hurt if emulators could be run without any issues.

4. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

I don't think that spec will suffice. Get a laptop with at least 8GB RAM and i5 Intel. Or as Loonylion had previously suggested to me, if intel laptop too expensive, go for ones running AMD and use the remaining budget to upsize the RAM to e.g. 16GB. Pre-built laptop running i5 or AMD of equivalent spec shouldn't be too steep from an i3. I won't go for i3 if I were you, especially if you've programming and video editing in mind. Android programming especially will require you to handle not only coding, but also graphic, sound, and emulating.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

needs way more ram and you're going to struggle to run modern emulators on that. Get the ATI one definitely, intel HD graphics are utter shit

6. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

the first ppst was messed up the ati one has 1.7ghz and intel hd one has 2ghz(isn't this better than the laptop with ati card)

Also will the difference between 1.7ghz and 2ghz(speed of the above mentioned laptops ) really matter when it comes to gaming and running ADT's device emulators, Pcsx2, Dolphin softwares?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  7. Loonylion

intel one has a faster cpu yes, but no graphics capability.

yes the speed difference will matter, but neither of them are up to running dolphin.and my also struggle with pcsx2. the ATI one is still better because it has proper 3d graphics capability, not a glorified software renderer. you'd lose more than you'd gain if you got the intel HD one.

8. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

9. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Are refurbished Lenovos your only option or something?

10. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Budget seems to be max USD500.

11. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

The Minimum Required Specs for this would be an i5 "M"* Processor with a clock speed of a minimum of 2 Ghz,
    Ram with 6 or 8 Gb
    and a Graphics card ( not Intel ) with a minimum 2 Gb Dedicated Memory.

I Have both Intel and Nvidia on my laptop so believe me you need the Nvidia/ ATI Graphics on your system. Intel is not a dedicated Graphics adapter, it comes with all laptops. You have to get either an Nvidia or ATI if you need to see Performace.

*M processors are notebook processors.
    U processors are ultrabook processors.

M processors are more powerful, but use more power.
    U processors aren't as powerful, but are more power efficient.

12. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

I got a really low budget. so i guess those laptops are the best under my budget.

@Dark Infernape
    thought M was for mobile processors
    U was for ultra low power.
    Also i given up on emulators on laptop, since i can run them smoothly on my desktop.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  13. Loonylion

no it isn't. it's the same cpu as the one with intel HD graphics. They're all ultra low power CPUs so you can forget running any kind of console emulator, even the android emulator might be questionable.