1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What was YOUR reason for pirating?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mikeac, Jun 28, 2010.

1. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

So what was yours?
    Recent studies have shown that 100% of people on RomUlation have pirated at least once. ;D
    Three out of four people pirate. Why did you?

You don't have to say what you pirated (besides games, more than the obvious), but tell me WHY. Why did you steal from the hard working members of the video game design community (even though they are all greedy f@ckers)? Did you even have a reason? Tell me. Please.

My reason...
    I don't have a large amount of money and neither do my parents...

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Because I can't afford the games. :p

3. ricgal_hz

ricgal_hz Member

Because I was a kid when this games were released (PSX) and now are very hard to find.

4. HeartofSword

HeartofSword Well-Known Member

Well the games here on Brazil are exactly 4x more expensive than USA.haha.

5. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

Wow! :eek:
    Ridiculous.

6. HeartofSword

HeartofSword Well-Known Member

I know : ]

7. Griffandir14

Griffandir14 Well-Known Member

mo job, but also I just like the challenge of it.

8. Rayder

Rayder Well-Known Member

Because I can.

9. nu885

nu885 Well-Known Member

mainly because of lack of funds but a few reasons

Online DRM : i know i do now, but not everyone has the net or a place to take their pc or have a connection that always running

Over-priced games : i wouldnt pirate at all if they weren't over $20. id say pirating would drop if the prices did

Lack of availability : the only place within a 80 mile radius to sell pc games is wal-mart

previous ownership : i used to own 30% of the games i pirated

10. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

-Stop me or family wasting money on stupid EA/thq based games for my brother and his damn soccer addiction

-Let's me try games that I could never buy ie the japanese exclusives

-I use it as my big middle finger towards eb games and their over charging (only on second hand games-I could copy just about any format now XD)

-Saves money

-Allowed me to clear some space from my game collection

11. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

I pirate (and always will) to prevent myself from a disease only known as "LJN syndrome". Not always coming from purchasing LJN brand games, but when it occurs, you feel incredibly...angry, disappointed, empty, murderous and...nerdy.

12. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

Actually, you're treating it quite lightly. They're about 10 times more expensive or even more.

Example:
    Nintendo DSi in US- 170 US$
    Nintendo DSi in BR- about 700 BRL if you buy it contrabanded. If you're lucky, you can find a few for about 400 BRL, but you'll need good negotiation talking. 1200 BRL on normal stores.

Nintendo DSi game in US- something between 20 and 40 US$ each
    Nintendo DSi game in BR- about 250 BRL each

On other side
    Acekard 2i new in the box- about 92 BRL
    2 Gb microSD- about 40 BRL

BRL is the ISO 9002(I guess) nomenclature for the currency used in Brazil (Brazillian Reais)

13. GlennTheMage

GlennTheMage Member

Try before you buy for me most of the time that's my Reason for Pirating and mostly the Japanese games which my Local Gamestore doesn't get Imported those are my Main things for Pirating not the most safest way but more or less Do-able

14. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

Even if I worked and had good wage, I coudn't justify paying 250 "bucks" on a small cartridge.

15. Dannysikth

Dannysikth Well-Known Member

Why I pirate games? Hmmm lets see.
    • High game prices, both new and pre-owned
    • Get games before they are released in the country I live in
    • Over hype and marketing for crap that wouldn't stand a snowballs chance in hell. These are the games you try forcing yourself to like because you spent so much on it
    • It is easier and much faster than buying the game, whether it is bought online or in a shop
    • I like trying games I wouldn't spend money on trying. Phoenix Wright springs to mind
    • Sometimes I may try a game from a developer with a bad record, like Ubisoft. I won't buy any game by them without trying it ever. Before you ask, no I have not bought any Ubisoft games after trying. I tend to avoid them like the plague
    • Games are now becoming dependant on downloadable content. I ain't paying twice for something which should be on the damn disc. GTA 4 was £40, the downloadable content was £13 for each (2) part. Or you could buy it on disc for £30. Rip off.
    • Special Editions. £5 extra (at least) for a tatty little whatever (book, cheap action figure etc.) are a marketing ploy which I will not indulge publishers to continue. It is still the same game after all.
    • I like having an R4 so I can have 20-30 games with me instead of a pocket full of cartridges
    • There are way too many videogames for anyone besides Bill Gates and Donald Trump to afford. Have you missed a game because you simply couldn't afford the 'must have' title?

Does that answer you question?

16. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

That is not a good reason. I think the MAIN reason as expressed in the previous posts is because of lack of funds.

17. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

Because i am a pirate! ARRGHH!! ;D

18. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

my mom and dad are milionaires but they say they aren't going to spend $20 or more just for my entertainment.

19. Dannysikth

Dannysikth Well-Known Member

Millionaires are still no match for Bill Gates kinda money. If only they were billionaires.....poor lotlat

20. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

0_-
    *Freaked out eye*

Ahem. o__0 Remain calm Mike, you can do this...

I WILL SHOOT YOU!

lulz I pretty much agreed with you on the whole thing. You actually believe that rant of yours didn't answer my question? :eek:

You must kill your parents to get their fortunes and life insurance. PM Me for instructions. ;D

No problem.