1. This forum is in read-only mode.

WARNING

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Loonylion, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

We seem to have a rogue advert on the forum that takes you away from RU and to a website called 'getyourantivirus3.com'. Upon page load it displays a message box stating that your computer is/may be infected, while the page appears to run a virus scan.

Should you encounter this, cancel any message boxes (if there is no cancel button, use ALT+F4) and close the tab IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT CLICK OK. This is so-called 'scareware' that tries to trick you into installing a virus/trojan and will then coerce you to pay for a 'removal tool' that either does nothing or causes more damage. Don't fall victim; in all likelyhood a reformat would be required to remove it if you do.

In the meantime, we will try to get the ad removed from circulation on our site.

2. Rizzer

Rizzer Guest

I've seen them all around the internet. I just never trust any pop ups. I've got Norton and proud of it.

3. Loonylion

Norton is useless. It's the only legitimate antivirus program that behaves exactly like a virus.

4. GhoulsnGhosts

GhoulsnGhosts Member

Thanks for the heads up.

5. Rizzer

Rizzer Guest

Whats the best one in your opinion ?

Please don't say AVG. AVG is more horrible than norton,

6. Loonylion

AVG actually has a much better detection rate than norton. theres also kaspersky, avira, avast! (scans really slowly though) and ESET NOD32. The latter is probably the best, but they're all good.

7. Rizzer

Rizzer Guest

I disliked AVG because it keeps thinking my games are a virus.

8. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

What games are those? I have numerous games, ranging from old 16bit windows 98 games to modern day games, and AVG never flags them as viruses.

Unless you mean your no-cd cracks and other pirated software. Many times cracks and such are flagged as viruses because they contain similar code to that used in viruses.

9. Loonylion

that isnt a problem specific to AVG, norton doesn't because norton can't detect the vast majority of virii.

10. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it a problem either. I'd rather it warn me about potential dangers in a crack file than not warn me of a potential virus. At least with the cracks (that I don't use, I swear!) I know I'm running/installing them and can tell AVG to ignore that file.

11. Loonylion

false positives in general are a problem

12. Zman126

Zman126 Active Member

I suggest Symantec Antivirus, I have always been able to trust it with any virus on my computer.

13. Loonylion

Symantec = norton, its a load of crap. Symantec is the software company that destroys everything they touch.

14. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

I use Nortan Anti-Virus and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. When the 2 don't work, that's when I'll use something different.

15. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Enough of the anti virus talk please, this is not a virus, it's a javascript alert box and no anti virus will block that, if you say yes then you intended to download the file...

16. Loonylion

It doesn't give you a choice, the actual download prompt only has an OK button. Hence you use ALT+F4.

17. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

You can still cancel the download, IE exempted at least.

18. xelados

xelados Well-Known Member

I love Firefox.

19. romz_mark

romz_mark Well-Known Member

Does AddBlockPro for FireFox block it?

20. Loonylion

probably

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.