1. This forum is in read-only mode.

virgin media's actions to stop downloading. (uk)

Discussion in 'General News' started by TotalRandomDude, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Virgin media, and a number of other isps, have take a step to reduce downloading. If they discover you are downloading they are to reduce your Internet speed, to make it impossible to download.

2. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

Really, All the English people should stop using Virgin.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Virgin are one of the worst ISPs in the country anyway.

4. mysticaloctopus

mysticaloctopus Well-Known Member

I thought that was only on p2p stuff they did that. I'm not with them, so I don't know much about it. Funny thing is, last year they were touting being the first UK ISP to offer 20Mb connections; what the flying chesthair of christ are you going to use that kind of speed for other than torrenting large files?

5. Loonylion

they weren't the first ISP to offer 20mbit, be were several years ago. Aso part of the reason behind this is because they have more customers than their bandwidth can support and they are trying to get out of paying for more bandwidth.

6. mysticaloctopus

Hahaha, oh wow. They're even worse than I thought then.

[quote author=virgin media]
    HURF DURF LET'S OFFER INTERNET TO MORE PEOPLE THAN WE HAVE INTERNET FOR!
    [/quote]

7. Loonylion

its called overselling and most ISPs do it, but some do it to a much greater extent than others.

8. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're really taking action. I bet Virgin (nice name) and others is losing customers or new signups, as mostly everyone is a pirate.

9. Loonylion

they're losing a lot of customers because their customer service is terrible, and their connections aren't that good either. They also make it very difficult to change away from their service, dragging their heels over migrations, offering the world if you stay with them etc. They even have a 'customer retention team'.

10. mysticaloctopus

Clearly a leaf from the L Ron Hubbard school of business. Never take someone for a short con if you can play them for a long one.

11. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

think its called bottlenecking and was done since napster "when it was free" honestly i still download up to 1mb/s and am always downloading. Even good stuff, not stuff people "find" Plus they have trouble because restricting download speed ...what about people distributing independant movies THEY made? gigs of data, legal and on p2p services.... honestly good luck finding it but that is the argument if im correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.