1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Understanding music sheet

Discussion in 'Music' started by calvin_0, Jan 29, 2011.

1. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

I trying to translate a music sheet of my favorite piano melody, moonlight sonata.

so being a none-musical people, i dont really understand some of the info i read, so hopefully there is someone on romulation is musically enough to help me out.

1. rest is a silent note, i understand this indicate a pause, but what does a rest symbol mean when its on top of a note? example, there is a g note connected with another g note with a beam, on 2nd g note, there is a full rest symbol just under the beam. what does that mean? do i play the g note or not? here is a picture (circled part)

[​IMG]

2. what does a tie mean?

[​IMG]

3. what does key signature do? i see a sharp symbol (#) on G, F, D and C line. does that mean i need to play all those key in sharp?

4. i see some of the note are connected with 2 stem one goes up and the other does down as show in the circled part of the picture, what does that mean?

[​IMG]

thanks.

2. Arron_zero

Arron_zero Well-Known Member

Hmm...Imma try to help you but you should double check my answers cause I'm one of those guys that play without giving a shit about theory...or rather I suck at it. I play by...erm...feel but let's see what I remember.

1.Tie is the curved line that joins 2 notes right? If there's a tie between a g note to the same g note, that means you hold down on the g note until the end of the tie. Can't remember what a rest is =S

2.^

3.If you see a sharp or a flat at the start of the sheet, it means you play all that key in sharp or flat until a(forgot the name)?neutral? key is shown.

4....not sure what you mean.

Yea, my theory is really sketchy but hope it helps at least a little bit ::)

3. calvin_0

1. i notice you havnt answer my 1st question. i hope this picture explain it more (the circled part)

[​IMG]

2. well i been told this is a tie (on the F part), but i dont realyl understand what does it mean.

[​IMG]

4. sorry if my explanation is confusing. here is the picture, what does the circled part mean?

[​IMG]

4. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

The key is in the dot. The dotted note is played for a 1/2 beat (as is standard for a quaver) and held for a further half of its value (in this case 1/4). The line indicates a semiquaver, which is a 1/4 beat to make up the remainder. Basically the first note is held for 3/4 of a crotchet value before being struck again for the last quarter.

The tie means hold those notes without restriking the key. You would remove your fingers from those keys at the end of the first crotchet beat in the second bar. It's used to keep a note held down over more than one bar.

I'd say that's a quirk of your notation software, especially if that's 4-4 time. Those triplets should have a 3 below the bar to show they occur over a single beat.

EDIT: Oh, and key signatures mean every instance of the note given a sharp/flat must be played like that unless there is a "natural" symbol in front of the note. There is a logical progression of major sharp and major flat keys, you can't just toss in a couple of sharps and a flat in the key signature if you feel like it.

5. calvin_0

so i just hold down the key in show the F part until the G part finished?

well does it mean anything if the timing is 2/2? (there is a cut time symbol in the start of the sheet)

6. Suiseiseki

I don't understand what you're saying. Those two notes down the bottom are played as a chord and held for the four beats that the semibreve shows, PLUS the one beat of the crotchet in the beginning of the next bar.

2/2/ is basically identical to 4/4. Notation software isn't amazing at pulling notes out of a MIDI.

7. calvin_0

as i read on the web, the F part (the bottom) is played on the left side of the keyboard of the piano. so basically i hold down both key until the upper part is finished?

i just want to make sure.

8. slingshot182

slingshot182 Well-Known Member

Im not a pianist, im a bassist/guitarist. But I am pretty sure you would play those at the same time. Or if you had a multi-track recorder you could play them one at a time.

9. will1008

will1008 Well-Known Member

Wow, Suiseiseki, never knew you were good at this shit.
    So yeah, what Suis said.

10. Suiseiseki

I'm Royal Schools certified as "being good at this shit". Bitches.