1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Ubuntu Going Mobile

Discussion in 'General News' started by iluvfupaburgers, Jan 4, 2013.

1. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Canonical recently showed the new OS they are working on.. for phones. Apparently it will replace android OS from phones such as the Galaxy Nexus and actually plan on competing against other phone OS like Android. it seems it will be released early 2014.

Canonical - Ubuntu for Phones Online Keynote | Youtube

Canonical - Ubuntu for Phones Online Keynote | Youtube

Source:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/2/3827922/ubuntu-phone-os-announcement

2. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Well this is interesting. Very interesting.
    I like the interface a lot. The first image brought memories if Windows 8 but it looks a lot better than Windows Phones.

Would like to see a BETA version released sometime this year hopefully.

3. iluvfupaburgers

it does look very interesting. specially since they plan on taking out all buttons and just using the screen to move around, hopefully we do see a beta and 2014 seems a long time to release it, specially if it is intended to be used on the galaxy nexus

4. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Oohh. No buttons. That's pretty cool. Is there a phone that doesn't have any buttons?
    Yeah, 2014 does seem like a while. They probably want to fix out everything in iOS and Android that was wrong.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Galaxy Nexus. It's a Google phone and I've always being an admirer of Google's work. :)

5. iluvfupaburgers

lol, was that sarcasm? i cant tell. but yeah, in that keynote i added they dont even use virtual buttons to move through the UI

the galaxy nexus is a nice phone, but by that time, it will be more than outdated hardware-wise

6. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Dunno. Might've been.
    I do like no buttons. But all the figermarks will be sideways and vertical now.

I'm not so sure.
    The Nexus stood ahead of it's time, that's for sure. Whether it will stay there or fall behind by 2014, that's up for debate.

7. DeGladiator

DeGladiator Well-Known Member

Sounds cool ;D

8. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

better late than never .

this move is good but will Ubuntu be able to come up to android or Ios ?

9. iluvfupaburgers

pretty hard to tell. ubuntu on pc is pretty good, so we might just wait and see, hopefully more devices get support soon after release. and more dev support aswell if it wants to compete to android and IOS. i really like it though, it looks sleak and elegant