1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Traceroute and Timeout

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by damanali, Oct 9, 2015.

1. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

Hi! Particularly to Loony who is always there to give crucial amounts of information about problems concerning computers and networking.

My concern is traceroute and timeouts. I hope you can help me with traceroute and time out. I can browse the internet, download and upload. No problem there, but whenever I do a cmd then tracert [space] website/ip address, it will always produce timeouts from the first hop to the rest until it will get a ping on the 6 or even up to 20th hop. I heard, if the there is time out in the 1st hop, its my computer's problem, and the 2nd to 3rd hop is the internet service provider's problem then the 4th to infinity hop is the website's problem.

My concern, I already called my ISP to check if it's their fault since the 1st hop sometimes have/haven't have any ping. So, what should I do since my company that I worked in needs no timeout on the traceroute since I need an uninterrupted connection.

The ISP told me it might be a LAN problem on my computer, so, should I buy a new LAN card, or can I do some tweeking on the program? Hope to get help from you guys. Thanks!

Post Merge: [time]1444377395[/time]
    Never mind, Almighty Google helped me. Already fixed. Thank you for your time.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

timeouts aren't necessarily a bad sign, the equipment might simply be configured to ignore echo requests.

3. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

Yeah, my AV is blocking called incoming ICMP. so its always giving a timeout.