1. This forum is in read-only mode.

The saddest ending in literature

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Griffandir14, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Griffandir14

Griffandir14 Well-Known Member

Which book or series of books do you think has the saddest ending?
    The saddest I have read are the ending of the His Dark Materials series (Pullman made Lyra and Will make very grown up decisions in the end) and one book whose title I can't remember about one hero's final act of heroics being credited to a prince for political reasons.

2. easia

easia New Member

This sounds weird but the saddest ending I know is the book of Marley and me. Maybe it's because I too have a very old dog (13 years) and I don't want to lose her. Anyway, it's a beautiful book ( and movie) but it has such a sad ending.

3. Griffandir14

Wow someone actually posted on this topic, thank you easia, I was getting semi-depressed. I have never read Marley and Me, but I'll definitely give it a try.

4. Mikiie

Mikiie Well-Known Member

Was Bambi a book?
    :(

5. Griffandir14

No it was only a movie, but it was still pretty sad.

6. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

I read this book once called See Ya Simon about a guy whose friend had muscular dystrophy. That was pretty damn sad.

7. Renji217

Renji217 Well-Known Member

Romeo and Juliet?? Does that count?? I still think its sad how it ended....

8. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

9. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

His Dark Materials for me too. Also, i bought a Harry Potter book from France that was printed on onions. :'(

10. XtremeBlade

XtremeBlade Well-Known Member

Of Mice and Men.

11. Griffandir14

Also now that I think about it, The Tale of Two Cities and Wuthering Heights also made me sad as well.

12. billybobmanyo

billybobmanyo Member

bambi was actually a book. im not sure if it was called anything different but it is definitely a book, and really macabre if you ask me. look it up and give it a try!!

13. 13wishes

13wishes Member

Well, for me I guess it has to be Hamlet

14. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows had a sad ending (for me... or maybe it was just a happy ending that brought tears to my eyes...)

15. ybom

ybom Well-Known Member

The Picture of Dorian Gray is very sad. Mainstream would probably be R&J for me.

16. MitsukaiXxX

MitsukaiXxX Well-Known Member

Merchant of venice....

To me it was......thought it was sad how he had to leave his religion and get exciled :(

17. tool86

tool86 Active Member

extremely loud and incredibly close.... one of the few endings which nearly made me cry.... and yes, I'm a guy =P

18. MysticMaja

MysticMaja Well-Known Member

There are a lot of sad endings that stuck to my mind, but the most vivid is Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles' ending. I wept after finishing it lol.

Haruki Murakami's Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World was also sad, although the ending was kind of ambivalent. And Alessandro Baricco's Silk... that made me depressed for days after reading it.

Special mention goes to 100 Years of Solitude, A Tale of Two Cities, The Book Thief, The Little Prince and Atonement. : (

19. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

well i recall about a poem (forget its name) about a salesmen who buy a financial plan who support his life that expire when he reach 50 year old (or it is 60), he life happily and freely on an island until the day come, when the finacial plan expire, he try to kill himself by sleeping while buring some charcole, unfortunely he got rescue and he become a retard and misserable for the rest of his life.

20. Killua Zaoldyeck

Killua Zaoldyeck Well-Known Member

sherlock holmes... the one mitch culin write, not conan doyle...