1. This forum is in read-only mode.

The Difference Between Mbps And Mbit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zhuo_Xing, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Zhuo_Xing

Zhuo_Xing Well-Known Member

Hi,I'll like to know what is the difference between "Mbps" and "Mbit"?
    "Mbps" is what I got from my "Local Connection Speed" while "Mbit" is what I got from my torrent.

2. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Mbps = megabits per second.
    Mbit = The same usually.

something else you might encounter is mB or MB, which would be megabytes.

1 byte = 8 bits. So an 8mbit connection can theoretically download at 1Mbyte/sec

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Incorrect, an 8mbit connection can theoretically download at 1MByte/sec.

4. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Well DUH, that was what I meant, I accidentally deleted the M during editing. So it's not incorrect, it just had a typo.

5. Zhuo_Xing

So this means that both Mbps and Mbit are similar.Because I'm currently using torrents to downlaod things,I'll like to know what problems might be caused if I set my connection type to the speed more than the speed test showed?

6. Loonylion

mbit is a size, mbps is size over time, in other words speed. mbps and mbit/sec are the same. If you set your connection type to more than what a speed test says then your connection will be unusable. Go to www.speedtest.net and run a test, then set your connection type to the one that is roughly 80% of the speed showing in the 'upload' box on the speedtest result.

7. Zhuo_Xing

Won't it be terribly slow?My speed test result have a upload speed of only 46kb/s.So that means I have to set my Connection Tpye less than 46k?

8. Loonylion

yeah, it only affects the upload speed.

9. Zhuo_Xing

No.It affects the download speed as well.When I set my Connection Type to as low as 64k,my download somehow stops.The download speed turns very slow.Only when I set my connection tpye to 10Mbit did my download speed accelerates.If that's the case why not set it to the maximum which is 100Mbit?(xx/100Mbit)

10. Loonylion

because then your upload goes entirely to utorrent and your net becomes unusable.

11. Zhuo_Xing

So that means I have to set my connection type below the speed showed in the upload box in my speed test results.Then my things will almost stop downloading.They really slow down to almost 0 kbps in my download speed.Can't I set my connection type just below my download speed result?

12. Loonylion

no, its the speed limit for the upload. If you look at the list it says XX/YY where YY is a number, that is upload, XX is download and is irrelevant.