1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Snail Mail

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

In this current age of technology where the flow of knowledge is almost delivered at lightning speed, does the humble begotten Snail Mail still hold its ground?

Nowadays communicating with someone takes only mere seconds via mobile phones with voice calls or SMS (& MMS if you will). & with your computers as well via VoIP, e-mails, Forum discussions such as what we're using here on RomUlation & IRC. We still do get snail mail but most of it are just Bills.

However, even with its major limitation, receiving post, as it should be called, from someone seems to be more wonderful than if you received something like an SMS. This of course is because you know that the sender has invested his time & effort into writing you a letter, whatever its contents maybe. You could also say that, the person who wrote to you is sharing with you whatever he is conveying in a more intimate & deeper level. Well that is of course if you could say that a letter from the Electric Company stating that, because of your unsettled accounts your connection will be terminated in a day or two is intimate & passionate ;D .

So guys, what say you, do you still value Snail Mail, or should we just squish it in its tracks, so to speak?

2. monter

monter Guest

okay first there was the "do we still value books" and now "do we still value snail mail". To be honest soon snail will be erased and a new fast postal service will come about.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I'm not actually talking about the postal service here, I'm talking about the act of writing, sending & receiving letters.

If that new system you're speaking of is another form of electronic messaging, then I'm not for it. As I said, hand written letters have this quality of being more personal than say an SMS or an e-mail can ever hope to convey.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I use snail mail for sending parcels, thats about it.

5. Patton

Patton Guest

Snail mail for sending personal letters,
    UPS, FedEx, or DHL for Documents, packages, parcels, etc.

6. ultra

ultra Guest

i hope snail mail doesn't get killed. maybe in star trek years it'll be killed as we'll use teleporters to deliver our own mail in the blink of an eye using one of those high tech teleporters. but in the mean time i hope it doesn't get killed.

using eletronics for sending mail sometimes become meaningless. of course there is an upside to using electronic mailing as it's instant and you get the information instantaneously. but again there are times where it becomes meaningless.

i would prefer getting a physical birthday card or any card, physically, rather then through the computer. there is value to that card you own. but by receiving it through electronic mail it feels empty. just like buying a game, there is a sense of "value" as to compared when downloading a game using digital distribution.

if i needed information quickly, there is an alternate solution other then email, that is through telegraph [telephone]. but with that it does become annoying as some people may not have the interest of talking.

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I may just be an idealistic Romantic, but aren't there still girls who get all tingly & giggly when they receive a love letter from a lover or admirer or even an obsessed fan? Or as ultra said, isn't getting a birthday card or get well card better than merely receiving an SMS message? And to a morbid extent, Isn't getting a death threat from someone written in cutout letters or bloody writing with an accompanying dead animal more blood curdling & traumatizing than just an e-mail you can easily mark & delete as SPAM?

8. Loonylion

I've had a death threat by email once; Unfortuntely it was only after I deleted it that I remembered I could have traced it :(

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

That's tough, I won't ask for details but was it before or after you joined RomUlation?

10. Loonylion

after, but was nothing to do with romulation, it was some asshole at university.

11. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

There's plenty of other ways to send "mail" or messages a lot easier, email, texting, throwing the message or letter to other countries etc. Sure, if you write a hand written message, it's a lot more personal, but if it was via SMS, it could have been some sick bastard that stole your cellphone. You still have to use mail to send packages and gifts and whatnot, you can't exactly send it online. Then there will be tubes that lead to your house to other tubes to other locations where you can put stuff in and it'll be transferred to the desired location within minutes, or something to that effect.

12. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

It's all technology that reigns over everybody's mark of mind. In my whole life I haven't seen anyone physically writting and then posting it to lettor boxes. After all these trends have been omitted by the e-mails, people no longer have to get physically strained. Scientists stat that the coming generation will be very weak to do any work.

13. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

I prefer sending and recieving postal mail, it seems more friendly that way, more thought is given, unlike a freaking E-mail where it's HAII WZUP MAN SEND BACK! has no thought.

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Vince's post made me think that:

Yes technology has made things simpler & faster, but also made man lazier & introverted.

I can't even think of not at least going out for a leisurely stroll now & again.

Plus as many of us has said, actually hand writing stuff is more personal as opposed to just typing. Even if a person's hand writing looks like chicken scratches.

15. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

Yah, mostly children are affected, they are the ones getting lazy through the technology.

16. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Each generation will get lazier as technology increases, seen the use of email through phones and PDAs? Barely anyone would actually use more energy or time to do something harder and less effective for instance hand making wedding invitations (Grandmother still does it) with bows and material and whatnot to an online invitation creator which can add images and fancy text which then you can print off and then post that way.

17. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

sure i still use snail mail, or else how would i sent my Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards to my friend at overseas? scan it and email? i dont think so....

18. waylonn

waylonn Well-Known Member

I use it almost every week

19. banhmr9001

banhmr9001 Member

I very much value snail mail.
    I can't download physical packages from the internet (inb4 "ZOMG U CAN DOWNLOAD MUSIC LOL"...I mean like...clothing, etc.)

Also, it's a lot more meaningful to receive a hand-written love letter from my girlfriend than it is to receive the same message over Myspace or something.

20. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Snailmail will always have a use, lets say for example you live in a remote area which loses power for 6weeks or so, communication via letter is going to be pretty important. Also as said above, lets see you send me my new jacket via email.....

Everyone seems to have this frame of mind that all the new tech is going to completely take over the old, its never going to happen, dont forget that we live in an era of rising oil prices which will eventually halt advances, for a while at least.

Just because we have cell phones doesnt mean landline phones are going to be phased out.... or do I need to start a 'Do we still value the landline' thread?