1. This forum is in read-only mode.

SD capacity on flashcard related question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Riktor, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Riktor

Riktor Videogamer

anyone know how many gb of the sd can the supercard ds2 flashcard and stargate 3ds flashcard handle
    ( sorry for bad english basically i mean if those flashcards can use every sd even the ones above 32 gb up to 400 gb ) , thanks

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I think the ds2 can handle up to 32gb

3. Riktor

Riktor Videogamer

so if i add a 128 gb for example on the supercard , the supercard will not read it ? and what about the stargate 3ds ? thank you very much for reply

in some forums i've read that is enough that the sd ( every capacity ) be formatted to fat 32 for be readed to the flashcard , but i'm was not sure ( i was planning to use a 128 gb sd on the supercard ds two for example because 32 gb was not enough for ds games and other retro roms w emulators )

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  4. Loonylion

The filesystem has nothing to do with it, the supercard will not recognise a 128GB card.

Basically there's different types of microsd card: MicroSD, MicroSDHC and MicroSDXC. microSD is up to 2GB (technically up to 4GB but the 4gb ones are rarer than hens teeth), SDHC is up to 32GB, and SDXC is 64GB and above. These are different 'generations' which are different at the hardware level and are not forward compatible. Therefore an SDHC device will not recognise an SDXC card, and similarly a first generation device (such as the original R4) will not recognise an SDHC or SDXC card. As far as I am aware, the supercard is an SDHC device and consequently is limited to 32GB or lower cards.

I have never heard of the stargate 3ds, it sounds like a clone to me.

5. Riktor

Riktor Videogamer

stargate is basically the last r4 made for 3ds just plug and play with no need to do the card swap like gateway for example , thanks again for reply , sad to know supercard ds2 don't read sd above 32 gb , but worth a try , when i will check , i will let know here if worked ( 32 gb are really not enough , if really supercard don't read it , hope there is a workaround at least , because a similar thing happened to me on the psp with an memory stick pro duo sd adaptor , readed everywhere that the max the adaptor can handle was 32 gb but when tried the 128 gb sd , basically the one that i want to put on the ds2 , everything worked , just the psp was a bit slow on load the games folders )

can also suggest me a tool for format to fat 32 ? i've read winows don't let format sdxc to fat 32 , but a tool can do it i believe , i will test it , thanks again

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  6. Loonylion

there isn't a workaround, it needs a reader that supports the microsd generation

7. Riktor

Riktor Videogamer

8. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Lets get this straight; are you asking about SuperCard DSTwo or SuperCard DSTwo Plus?
    If you're talking about the former, Loonylion's answer is for that; it supports max 32GB SDHC and must be FAT32 formatted. But to my understanding, it can't play 3DS roms, just DS/DSi/GBA.
    If you're talking about the latter; then the answer is max 64GB SDHC/SDXC and must be FAT32 formatted. This one play 3DS/DS/DSi/GBA. But do note that the DSTwo+ borrow the GateWay 3DS's infrastructure to run 3DS roms, might be a better idea to get the actual Gateway. Most people would rather recommend using cfw method than relying on flash cartridges to run 3ds roms.

In any case, there's a limit to how big a card a flash cartridge can support. If you go over the limit, in most cases it won't be detected. The same applies to other electronic devices using sd cards, such include smartphones and mp3 players.

9. Riktor

Riktor Videogamer

yes i mean the normal supercard dstwo , for the 3ds games infact i've asked about the stargate 3ds that don't use gateway method , the guide i've posted before talk about the normal supercard ds2 , i'vee had a similar problem on the psp as said before , everywhere i've read the adaptor could handle ony 32 gb but when i tried the 128 gb sd , worked perfectly , just some slowdowns on load games on the xmb

10. Prectorian

In that case, as per the supercard's official recommendation it is 32GB FAT32. It probably would work with 64GB as long as you use SDHC FAT32, doubt it'd run SDXC unless maybe it's running FAT32 instead of exFAT. Then again, it might not work or not detected, or it'd work but with some noticeable issues e.g. lag or some memory sectors not usable. I assume you're curious and would likely try anyway, so I say why not just give it a go to satisfy your curiosity. If it does work, congrats, if not then use it for other electronic device, but I'm sure it won't support 128GB, LOL far exceed the max capacity recommended. Realistically speaking, although at the end of the day it's your prerogative, do you even need so many roms in the card? It's not like you'll be playing them all every time.

11. Riktor

Riktor Videogamer

atm the moment can't try it because don't have anther sd , asked this also in case someone already tried it a large capacity sd on the supercard ds2 for confirm if work or not , wanted to use a large sd because swapping sd to much i broke another r4 so planned to put all in one , and not only ds games but also gba snes and other fan made emulators + roms , doubt everything stay on a 32 gb sadly , thanks for replied me and sorry for bad english

12. Prectorian

Let me just say, that a few people did already tried using 64GB SDHC FAT32 on SuperCard DSTWO, it does work with some issues such as lag. But no one ever bother trying with 128GB, aside being way over the max recommended capacity, it's way too expensive to invest in. In the event you buy 128GB, you'd likely be the first to try. Although I think an R4 would be more likely to break from too often rebooting/on-off handheld and too often ejected from handheld than the SD Micro itself. In any case, good luck.

13. Riktor

Riktor Videogamer

thanks , i will report here if work , just hope to not break the flashcard itself again , maybe the r4 was too fragile , the way to insert the sd is different too on the r4 and supercard , supercard need to click to enter and to eject it , the r4 you have to pull it off whitout click in ( sorry again fr bad english don't know if this is understandable ) and maybe pulling off the sd in this way broke something

14. Loonylion

its possible that some 64gb sdhc cards were released and they would work.

15. Riktor

Riktor Videogamer

for testing , when i get the sd , exist a good free tool/program for format sd above 43 gb to fat 32 since windows can't do it by itself ? thanks again guys

16. Loonylion

I believe panasonic have an sd card formatting tool

17. Riktor

Riktor Videogamer

can you share the download link ? thank you very much