1. This forum is in read-only mode.

same comcept, but one is look down upon.

Discussion in 'Debates' started by calvin_0, Oct 7, 2010.

1. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

you know, when we are kids, we are encourage to collect stuff like stamps, bottle caps or rock.... people who own huge collection of those stuff is been respected...

but when you collect action figure, games and Card Games, everyone who isnt in the field see it as bunch of garbage or waste of time.

seriously?

i mean why a rock collector acknowledge a stamp collector but not action figure or toy collector? the way i see it, stamp and rock are garbage on their own, but people still value it?

that same goes with chess, go and other similar game board, people who are good with those are respected, but people who spend time playing video game is look as waste of time.

both chess and video game is game who test skill and shape mind. so why do people think chest differently from video game?

2. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

You answered your own question.

3. calvin_0

no i dont, i'm asking on why stamp and rock are so widely acceptable and regarded as a positive hobby by "everyone" even the non-collector while action figure, card games and video game are widely know as waste of time garbage by everyone else.

4. msg2009

People just like different things, its as simple as that, you don't like rocks, they don't like games.
    Go look online at a game collectors forum or something, theres tons of people that collect games.
    Also stamps and rocks have been around forever, games are new and people that grew up with them are only just starting to collect them.
    As for action figures/toys, people have been collecting them for decades, especially ones connected to films such as star wars, james bond etc.

5. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Well, I have a pet rock actually. His name is Fred and lives in my backpack. I get really bored at school. :p

I do collect rocks and video games and the occasional stamp from other countries. I have one from Japan and the Winter Olympics in Canada! :D

6. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

I collected minerals as a kid, like fifty samples of quartz, and I remember one time I freaked out because I found one called a "crystal diamond"...which was, of course, worthless.

I collect games too. I have a few dreamcast titles and I don't even have a dreamcast :p

On-topic, It's the same reason as those who play video games are looked down upon compared to those who play sports; They still see video games the way they saw them when they first appeared; Blocky, indistinguishable sprites coupled with loud, irritating sound FX, while it is often the opposite nowadays (if you collect atari carts, tho, that may be a different story). In the mean time, they didn't SEE when most of their favorite sports started, just what they had come to be, in other words, they didn't know about sports' "ugly" origins, so they considered them to be better.

So the collectors see either something that's been established before them and assume it's always been such a great hobby (like stamps, rocks) while they see VG collectors collecting old strange entertainment machines that only waste time.

7. msg2009

I tried buying shining force 3 and couldn't get it for less than £120. Game collectors are picking up now all the older stuff is getting rarer.
    Another 20 years and it will be popular.

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Cal, it's chess not chest LOL!

For a minute there I was scratching my head & thought maybe some perv invented a board game in which the goal is to have touched a million boobs before the time is out :D

Nah, I was just kidding :)

I knew you meant chess all along.

As msg said, videogames have only been around for 4 decades or so, so the fan base isn't really all that much. But we are getting there :)

Didn't I post a topic some time ago about Cyber Athletes & the world cyber games? Videogaming in its own right is becoming recognized it's just there are a lot of people who are still not into it yet.

I bet Chess during its early start also had its share of haters & bad critics. Heck even I don't get it because it's a difficult game to play. I mean thinking 40 moves before you even start is just too much for me.

9. calvin_0

well that show me how long have it been since i touch chess XD

10. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

Actually, "chest" is a far more popular hobby than "chess" now, but they call it some weird long name like "Sexual assault" now.

Let's put it this way; In fifty years when kids start collecting...Idunno, space alien heads or something, how would YOU feel about it?

11. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

Value is all I have to agree with. A person can value different things in different ways.