1. This forum is in read-only mode.

red rings of death

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by hlw_rocer, Nov 28, 2009.

1. hlw_rocer

hlw_rocer Well-Known Member

can someone post a guide on how to fix this
    i like never play my xbox
    and one day i wanted to play guitar hero
    i cant
    :(

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Step 1 - Visit http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/contact.aspx
    Step 2 - Call Microsoft's Support Number.

3. hlw_rocer

:( any other ways that i can do at my home?

4. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I do not know of any way that really works. I've never tried. I would not try anything that Youtube shows. Presto-Chango! Wrap it in a blanket and wave your magic wand and it works!

But really, they have three year warranties on them for RROD.

5. airdash123

airdash123 Well-Known Member

RROD means you need to get a new xbox bro.. :-\

6. Kage56

Kage56 Well-Known Member

well, there was, or still is, a towel trick that helped it.

i think you wrap it up and leave it alone for a long time, and then unwrap it and turn it on.

i never understood how that actually helped considering a towel doesn't actually remove heat...

7. jw03

jw03 Active Member

i had an elite for just a year aand got the rrod... i say ***k that and though i loved 360 i'll not care and buy a ps3 now, it's a joke to spend that much $ just to have to fix your system by dis-assembling or mailing it in. screw microsoft... maybe they could use some of that cash to spend on proper planning and research to make a system that Keeps working! i haven't tried or heard complaints on the jasper model though.?

8. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

don't do the towel trick yes it my work for a bit but it makes it worse every time you do it my mate killed 2 360's completely dead.

if you have no warranty the best home grown method is to take out the x-clamps and bolt the heat-sinks down.
    for a tutorial simply google "x clamp tutorial" or something along those lines.

it's not hard to do and if you look on ebay people sell kits (for only a few $/£) with all you need (bolts, washers and thermal paste) and most kits come with instructions.

the only other thing you need to get to open it is torx drivers/bits which again just a few £/$ off ebay and again some fix kits may have them.

9. hlw_rocer

may try this
    any more ideas?

10. equitypetey

that's it bar sending it off or trying the x-clamp fix

11. Shibuku_Dogenzaka

Shibuku_Dogenzaka Well-Known Member

Yeah i had this problem. But i sent in my XBOX to this shop near our place and got it back in a couple of hours.

First of all, how many sections of the ring are red? (all or just three?)

Type in Google -> "E 74 ERROR XBOX FIX"

Eventually, one of the sites listed will provide the how to's on the sections.

EXAMPLE
    All four sections red = AV Cable problem
    Possible Solution: Your AV cable may be having connestion problems. Disconnect and wipe the metal ends with a dry soft cloth to remove any dust build-up. Try re-connecting and turning on the XBOX.
    2)If that fails, you'll have to get a NEW AV cable and try that one.
    3)If all above don't work, you'll have to find a place to send in your XBOX to be fixed (there has to be a place near you, there's one for me) OR your only option left is to call the XBOX SUPPORT.

One Section Red = Hardware failure
    Due to over heat etc
    Possible Solution: You'll have to get hands on. I know the solution, but i don't want to give false instructions here. Just look up the tutorial on Youtube.com, that's where i saw the possible solution for this one.

^There are more, but like i said, go to that site (sorry your going to have to find it on google yourself, i forgot the link). It should just be on the very first page.

Hope this helped =\

12. Apollooo

Apollooo Well-Known Member

or try consult with your vendor sometimes in some RROD case you need to change the broken hardware

13. equitypetey

having fixed a few nearly all issues (one/two/three lights) can be fixed by taking out the x-clamps.

if you give it to a shop that fixes them i can guarantee that this is what they will do.

the only hardware issues you can swap out is the dvd drive but if that dies as an issue with the board in it rather then the laser it's a bitch to replace, if it's a laser issue it won't come up as a hardware fault it just won't read but that is crazy easy to fix.

as for the 4 lights problem sometimes this can just be the cable and not the port especially if you stand the 360 up, turn it off wiggle the cable try again if still four lights try a mates cable. if it still is dead then there isn't a whole lot you can do.

14. someirishkid

someirishkid Well-Known Member

If your warranty is still in effect, just bring it in to the shop that you bought it from and they'll give you a new one.
    It happened to me :'( I brought it into GAME, with the receipt, and they just handed me a brand new one, and switched the Hard Drives so i could keep my saves and profiles ;D

15. bobafett1136

bobafett1136 Well-Known Member

There's also the press fix, search on youtube for it, keeps Xbox working for about 10 more hours and doesn't break the xbox in a long or short term basis.

16. tommy558

tommy558 Member

We have had my sons box by our TV systems for the last 12 months.
    i have just bought a surround sound system,the speakers being close to the xbox.

Guess what today my lad goes on the xbox and one red ring appears.
    tried all things still no good . we have removed the hardrive and its working OK .
    so i guess the speakers may have corrupted the hardrive.

Just thought i would pass on this info regarding speakers being near your gaming machine.

17. deanalexander

deanalexander Well-Known Member

I doubt speakers could cause a RROD.
    If its just one RROD try this; http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/Solutions/wizardhost.aspx?wizardid=frls

18. equitypetey

RROD just means a hardware fault and speakers can kill a hard drive and you do get RROD if you have fault with your hard drive so stop doubting buddy.

19. tommy558

tommy558 Member

Would say it was the speaker . the hardrive is giveing a issue with either the 1 red ring this being the 2nd ring down .
    if we do not get the red ring we get no sound from the box.
    Take the hardrive off the box and all is ok, no issues at all.
    the xbox as been fine until i put the speakers either side of our tv stand and the xbox was right next to one of the speakers.

Would say that the magnectic field as done something to the hardrive on the side.
    looks like i will have to buy a new one . or can i open the case and just buy a new 2.5 laptop drive say a new 120 gig and replace the damaged 60gig drive.

is there anyway i can get the firmware or OS to load onto a new drive . ir would i have to load the dameged drive into a 2.5 hdd caddy and get the files off it and save to PC and then laod them on the drive from the caddy ??.

20. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I believe the hard drives are encrypted to stop the end user replacing them.