READ BEFORE POSTING - The End of the 'Hi' Era

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Winterreise, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winterreise

Winterreise Well-Known Member

To all new and existing members of RomUlation: Please, when introducing yourself in the introductions forum, do not use one single sentence consisting of the equivalent of 'Hi'. This forums was not made so it could be flooded with 'Hi's and 'Welcome's, but as a place for new users to actually introduce themselves, what they enjoy, and who they are. Below, I have typed up a quick example of what a proper introduction on RomUlation should look like.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone, my name is Winterreise.

I've been a member of RomUlation since August 2007, and a global moderator on the site since September, 2007. I quite enjoy my duties around here, which consist mainly of keeping the peace in the forums, and maybe a few extra little projects and contests on the side ;)

I originally found RomUlation when I was showing my friend the joys of playing Zelda on his computer. A single Google search later and I had found this amazing site.

My main activity in which to partake (besides gaming), is music. I currently am working on my ARCT Performers in piano, and hope to achieve this goal before I turn 18. Wish me luck! I am also a Canadian Lifeguard, and am recognized as such by the Lifesaving Society of Canada. My other joys in life include my girlfriend, reading, fending off polar bears, rebuilding my igloo, and taking the sled dogs for walks.

I am an Xbox 360 fanboy. Don't ask why, don't ask how, just know that I am, and if you hang around the Consoles - Microsoft forum enough, you'll see that I tend to be the only moderator around there. If you'd like to contact me on Live, simply send a message to Winterreise - my gamertag is the same as my RomUName.

As far as video games go, my favourite genres to play happen to be the RPG and FPS. Mass Effect currently has me addicted to it, as does Guitar Hero III. I'm sure you can understand that one, as I am a music addict. Other great games that I love to play include Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Bioshock, and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

I am also an avid reader. Having just finished the Robert Jordan series, I am now on the final book in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Amazing books, these ones are. I also enjoy reading about real events in history, such as both of the World Wars, and the Holocaust.

Besides reading, I also enjoy watching movies, oh, say, three to five times a week. My personal favourites (and yes, that's the Canadian spelling of favourites) of 2007 are 300 and The Bourne Ultimatum. Both are incredible movies. However, I'm currently addicted to The Kingdom, which I still haven't gotten around to finishing.

And yes, if you haven't already guessed, I am Canadian. No, I do not actually live in an igloo, and no, I do not take a sled to school. I do, however, quite enjoy various snow-required activities, such as snowboarding, downhill skiing, and hockey.

Well, that about sums me up, I hope you've gained a little more insight into the anomaly that is Winterreise.

Regards,

Winterreise

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, there you have it. That is an example of a very nicely-written and thought out introduction, that the administrative team would simply love to see on RomUlation.

So please, from now on, no more single-sentence threads that consist of 'Hi'. If we find these, they will unfortunately be deleted and you will have to re-write your introduction. I think this is fair warning, though.

So goodbye for now, and welcome all to RomUlation!

- Winterreise

2. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

isn't that intro a bit too long? sure do, intros must be longer than they are posted actually, but not that long.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

it's an example of a good introduction, people aren't expected to match the word count...

4. beundertaker

beundertaker Active Member

5. sir spamalot

sir spamalot Well-Known Member

so, intro's are a must on this forum? i didn't introduce myself - i just... you know... appeared

6. Loonylion

not a 'must' exactly, they're nice to read. What this post is aimed at is stopping people from just writing 'hi' as an introduction.

7. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Intros arent a must. But if you are going to introduce yourself, then do exactly so. 'Hi' isn't what one might consider an introduction.

8. CloudBoy101

CloudBoy101 Well-Known Member

I spell favourite with a "U" as well, thats the proper way to spell it. Same with armour & colour.

9. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

depends on where do you live. the uk and usa have different ways to write the same word, mind that. plus, if you check the firefox dictionary, there should be a grammar error, underlined red. but the spell check considers your form the correct form.

10. Loonylion

American English is derived from what is now British English (was plain English) so technically the original spelling (i.e with a 'u') is the 'correct' spelling

11. CloudBoy101

I don't live in the UK, and thats how I spell those words. It's all a matter of choice.

12. Winterreise

Winterreise Well-Known Member

We never said you couldn't spell words that way. We're just saying that 'favourite' is the correct English spelling for many countries.

13. CloudBoy101

I understand, It's just that jin said "depends on where do you live... the uk and usa have different ways to write the same word, mind that... " I don't think it really matters where you live. He's always trying to prove me wrong. **Shakes fist at jin**

14. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

You add a "u" to the words if you want to act like a Brit. :p

15. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

lol woah, maybe a sentence or too lol, we want and into not a life story winter :p

16. Loonylion

you miss the 'U' out if you're a lazy American :p

17. CloudBoy101

MUHAHAHA!!! Powned!!!! Anywho, I didn't say I wasn't British, I just said I don't live in the UK........ok, I'm not British, but my elders we're, so I have the right to act the way I do. Some white people act like their black, but their not really black are they? it's the same scenario.

And it's no like I walk around talkin' with a British accent, I only do that when I'm really pissed off ;)

18. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

anyway, the effects of this thread have been felt. many people are doing longer intros. :)

19. CloudBoy101

Yeah, Ive seen some pretty good ones now. I forgot to make an intro, but oh well, you already know me know, I guess.

20. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yeah that's good. I didn't do an introduction when I first joined ages ago, I didn't even know there was a forum!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.