1. This forum is in read-only mode.

question on model painting...

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by calvin_0, Feb 11, 2012.

1. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

i just got myself an applejack doll that come with the hat (i just brought the whole playset just for applejack with a hat, picture above)... however like every toys in the world. the hat come in plastic natural color.

so i'm thinking about recoloring it to show accurate. (IMO applejack is the most show accurate doll that hasbro make, she doesnt require any major restyling... i'm still researching how to restyle a doll)

so can i use regular paint to paint the hat brown? or do i have to get modeling paint?

since i'm not a regular modeler, it kinda a waste for me to get modeling paint just for one paint job... (plus its cheaper to use regular paint).

2. dracky w

dracky w Well-Known Member

My suggestion is to find a friend that has an airbrush and ask him if you could use it or if he/she could do it for you
    doing a decent job with cheaper paints take slightly more skill than using the right paint for the job,
    Decent job workflow
    Primer (usually Grey) -> undercoat Lightest colour used -> paint(or airbrush) the dark areas -> Ink wash to bring out the details -> Clear coat for protection.
    with the clear coat use a matt finish if you want the item to look like fabric/cloth/leather and gloss to make it look like plastic or metal
    PM me if you want me to make up a quick tutorial for the Hat for you

3. calvin_0

instead of quick tutorial, how about correcting me instead? here is what i have in mind (i do have some experience with model painting... 10 years ago)

i'm going to get the following supply.

spray paint: white (primer), brown (main color) and clear (protection)

paint: red (for the apple), green (for the leaf), yellow\light brown (for the band on the hat)

step 1: spray the whole hat white spray on both side.
    step 2: spray the whole hat brown spray on both side.
    step 3: spray the whole hat with clear spray on both side
    step 4: apply masking tape to cover everything but the apple and the band.
    step 5: paint everything else with a small brush (i hope i still have a steady hand for this)

any advice or improvement on my plan?

4. dracky w

Step 1:Clean object and Prime it
    Step 2:Mask off Detail areas
    Step 3:Spray Brown
    Step 4:paint Details (Apple and brim)
    Step 5:Clear Coat for protection,(optional step use a Ear bud/q-tip and a Toothpick to distress the clear coat for various textures

how i do brown cowboy type hats is i Prime the hat,under coat with brown (couple shades lighter than normal brown) and then do the brim and the bottom of the bit that sits on your head in a normal brown so it looks a little sun bleached and then with the clear coat i use a earbud to distress the area and it does a great job at faking suede leather,also try to buy proper primer coat,i recommend this: http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/tamiya-fine-surface-primer-plasticmetal-light-grey/
    its what i use on 99% of all my models and toy re-colours and it gives a nice thin surface that you dont lose the details with

5. calvin_0

one more question, do i have to get spray paint that label "primer" or any white spray paint will do?

hmmm i think i should take some plastic to do a practice run before trying on the hat...

6. dracky w

rather use primer and Grey instead of white as white works best for warm colours and grey for cold colours such as brown) as it provides a semi-porous/uniform reflectivity surface as well as locking the coats that go over it if you paint over spray paint there is a very high chance of running and forming blobs plus a can like that lasts quite a while so you wont be wasting,believe me i have seen first hand how a good primer makes a difference and its very much worth going the extra mile in any project

7. calvin_0

thanks, time to go shopping...

oh. if i cannot find grey primer, what other color can i use?

8. dracky w

Any Model shop will have grey as its it the most common otherwise just call ahead to see if they have stock

9. calvin_0

hmmm i'm not really using model grade stuff... just the regular stuff laying around in the hardware shop...

10. calvin_0

i been wondering, can i use permanent marker to color the find part of the model?

since i only use them for one time, marker is cheaper then paint.. (plus i cant find any shop that sell in small volume in my area..)

11. dracky w

you could but since Marker is a transparent colour the under will influence how the finish is going to be(unless you used the Grey primer then you are all set for marker pens)

12. calvin_0

yup i found a grey primer by krylon. however it cost almost as much as modeling paint... i was thinking to get modelling primer instead however the nearest model shop is 2 town away.. so after adding the gas and time, i think i'm getting that krylon primer instead...

so i'm going to get

Spray paint: Grey Primer, Brown and Clear
    Marker: Yellow, Red and Green
    Misc: Masking tape (paper base) and sharp knife

13. dracky w

That Sounds Good,Dont forget to Post Before and Afters for us to see

14. calvin_0

will do...

edit:

Krylon Grey Primer: 29.50
    Regular Brown Paint: 7.90
    Ace Satin Clear Coat: 18.90
    Art Green Permanent Marker: 4.30
    Art Red Permanent Marker: 4.30
    Regular Yellow Permanent Marker: 3.00
    Blue Tack: 8.00

Total: 75.90

Wow almost 80 bucks... this reminded me why i stop building model, i better not screw up >.>

ya, i use blue tack instead of masking tape since blue tack is not very sticky (paper grade) and its mold-able. the surface of the hat arent flat. plus i scared i'll screwup the hat with sharp knife.

15. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

so let me get this straight, you're a grown ass man prepared to spend $80 because a hat for a young girl's toy is the wrong colour?

you should spend the money on something more useful; namely a pen, a notepad, a cup and some bleach...

16. calvin_0

yes, i also spend 300 buck on Superman set just for Kara, and 200 buck for Shining Mew Promo.

i also spend around 300+ just to have the full set of little pony made for little girl. your point is?

17. dracky w

Serioulsly you are gonna call calvin_0 out on that,there are MUCH worse vices for a person in this day and age

18. calvin_0

i done some test on the plastic junk that came with the set (to see the color and if it eating the plastic) and i encounter some problem.

[​IMG][​IMG]

as you can see while brown turn out great, other not so... its too dark (you cant even tell if that is red or brown). any idea how to fix this?

19. dracky w

The markers are too dark?
    Use extremely sparingly a bit of nail polish remover to dilute the marker

20. calvin_0

no the marker arent too dark, but i think the grey primer over power the marker and make them too dark ( i have to apply 4 layers before you can even see the color)

i'm thinking about using white water color to brush over the grey primer.. that might lighten the grey abit.

here is a comparison photo that i take to test my theory...

[​IMG]

on the lighter background it only took two layers to bring out the color... (i couldn't find anything white to test, so i use yellow instead)