1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Pre-built PC for upgrade question

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by damanali, Jun 23, 2015.

1. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

Hi, a year ago, i bought a pc for my business, it was pre-built with all generic crap the store can offer like 2GB ram, celeron processor, ECS motherboard and generic 500W psu.

My question is on the ram. My pc is slow in loading some programs particularly if I open like 3-4 programs at once like skype, browser, vlc and a folder. since physical memory is at 87% while the CPU is less that 30-40%, so I concluded that 2GB ram is not enough.

crucial.com said i can use up to 16GB of Ram - (don't really need that much since this pc is just for my business and not for games,) it recommended me this:

4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.5V 512Meg x 64

DDR3 PC3-12800 • 8-8-8-24 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 •

So, can i buy this with the ram i have already installed in my pc so it will be 6GB? 2GB + 4GB

Any suggestions like: "Remove the old ram and just place the 4GB"?

any questions/suggestions, I am more than willing to answer and accept. thanks!

2. Blazemax

Blazemax Well-Known Member

I have two computers one a WIN7 32bit with 2gbram and pentium D 2.8psu for one and other has WIN7 64bit with 4gbram and pentium dual with 3.0psu and honestly the first one runs fast mostly cause the first one i reinstall win7 and left out alot of programs. Using varies programs usually what clogs up the system. Computers are weird huh, but if you want to run faster, you can purchase better parts, or just use it smarter(but dont leave out crucial programs like antimalware).

3. damanali

Yes, thank you for your input. I do have those programs, but the thing is, I use this for my business as well as my online teaching job. So i need some programs simultaneously open so I think the ram upgrade is needed since i don't have complaints like shutting down due to overheating or BSD.

My questions is, should i buy the same ram i already have or can i buy a ram that is of another speed. like for example:

2GB DDR3 pc3-10600 - my current ram

then I will buy and put:

4GB DDR3 PC3-12800

I'm really confused with the 10600 and the 12800. Will that be compatible in my computer since they have different numbers? Like slowing down the other.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

so long as they are ddr3 and the pin count/module size is correct they will work, but the faster ones will be limited to the speed of the slowest. It is highly inadvisable to mix different capacity modules, therefore I would recommend you buy two 4GB modules and remove the 2GB one. However, doing this would mean reinstalling Windows if you are currently using a 32bit version, as you would need to upgrade to 64bit.

If you buy the RAM that Crucial suggests, they guarantee that it will work, and will make good if it doesn't.

5. damanali

I do have a 32bit and I just want to double the ram so it will not be slow in loading. I don't think 8GB is needed since I don't intend use the pc for gaming.

I do remember that rule that 32-bit only can use like 3.5-4 GB only. So, having 6GB is not really needed, isn't? So, I will just buy a 4GB and remove the old 2GB then. Is that the best option?

Or should i buy 2GB of the same speed?

6. Loonylion

windows 7 will run much better on 8GB than it will on 4GB, it really needs 8GB to run properly.

6GB is bad because it doesn't use matched pairs, meaning everything is slowed down massively; you need to stick with matched pairs in order to get the full benefit of dual channel, so that means either 4GB or 8GB, not somewhere in between.

if you absolutely can't ever reformat and install 64bit, then 4GB is the most you can use (will show as 3.5GB in Windows). You can still put 8gb in, anything over 4GB will be inaccessible until you move to 64bit Windows.

If you're never going to upgrade, then 2x2 would be better than 1x4, again because of matched pairs. You can't have dual channel with a single stick. I still think your best option is 2x4GB despite the reformat that would be necessary.

7. damanali

Thanks Loony, I will not opt for an upgrade since this is a generic computer. It is only intended for what I said before.

So, I will take your advice about the 2GB+2GB since I won't be needing more than 4GB and I would like to see that dual channel you speak off. I don't know how to do that, but faster pc, is a faster pc. I don't play using my pc anymore since I have a emulator in my smartphone for all the games I currently need.

It will also give me extra money for my laptop repair. That I have more than enough ram, but the problem is overheating which makes video watching in youtube an almost impossibility.

Thanks!

Post Merge: [time]1435136417[/time]
    I bought a new 2GB ddr3 1333 like my currently installed ram.

But my problem is, it is not booting into windows properly when it is both installed. What could be the problem?

I tried just the new one and it works, tried the old one only, it works, but when it is both installed, it detects 4GB but it won't boot to regular windows, it does some check disk check and memory dump, then restarts like a loop.

Hope you can help me, thanks!

8. Blazemax

After rereading your first post again, im more thinking you are fine at the moment. Have you used your computer to test/experiment using all the programs required for your job, and if they are not maxing out your memory or cpu(or crashing your system), then you really dont need to upgrade. If you are worried about overheating, i recommend getting a cooling system, ESPECIALLY if your computer is a SFF desktop or laptop, as these devices do tend to get really hot, really quickly. Its the compact size, that does it the most harm.

9. Loonylion

that suggests the stick or the slot is bad, test it on its own, and try changing the slots in use.

10. damanali

Maybe. I tried it on its own and both at the same time. The computer detects 4GB but won't boot to windows. Tried safe mode, it it worked so i don't know why it won't boot normally.

Maybe I will just bring the entire pc to the place i bought the ram so they can check if its the pc slot or the ram is faulty.

But i read some blogs and messages boards about cleaning bios when installing new ram. Don't know about that, so I won't mess anything already working. Right now, I'm using the comp with the old 2GB ram.

11. Loonylion

don't know what you mean by that but it should never be necessary to touch the bios except for changing the boot order if you install a new disk drive.

12. M.AzaryPika3172

M.AzaryPika3172 Well-Known Member

Is must important is clean your RAM for removing dirt at the gold thing (that one was put into motherboard). Visit here for info and tutorial!

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/clean-ram-56720.html

13. Loonylion

that should never be necessary.

14. Blazemax

not only unnecessary, but excessive or improper cleaning it can cause damages. i had about a month ago issue with ram in one of my computers(mostly just a hiccup) which was fixed by removing and reinserting the ram. i dont know the details or why it was fixed by such a simple thing, but all i hope is to never have that "hiccup" again. and dont say it was dirty, cause that computer WAS clean enough to eat off it(though i wouldnt, those chips takes awful).

15. damanali

brought the entire pc for them to install the ram... the reason it was not working: factory defective ram.

and that is why I should always bring my cpu everytime i need to buy something that need to be installed in the mother board to save time in coming back again