1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[PC] - Tycoon City : New York - Vincent-V

Discussion in 'Game Reviews' started by kanwarrulz_123, Aug 5, 2009.

1. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

Hi guys, here's another review, hope my previous review hadn't been looked at rensentatively, Tycoon City is a peculiar yet a very innovative title in its genre, I' had tried to complete this review as fast as possible as I had to finish this month with The Last Remnant review, which I couldn't... but I haven't yet beat the game.. apparently I am tantalizingly close to the end. The Dreamfall review nearly took me a day more than a week, but, I guess that wouldn't had been in the case of Tycoon City : NY as it contains very little inertiated content and lacks complexity. Recently, I had petitioned a one month leave letter to the company which was eventually rejected has just given birth to a sudden tantrum inside me against work and my boss, still a part of me prevents from vilifying against my boss ... honestly all work and no play has really soaked all the zeal and thrill I had for this job. I have got my PS3 back as well, I am right now playing Final Fantasy XIII Japanese demo, I have got Bigs and Infamous as well.

[PC] – Tycoon City : New York

[​IMG]

Developer(s) - Deep Red Games

Publisher(s) - Atari

Platform(s) -Microsoft Windows 98/ME/2000/XP

Release date(s) - February 21, 2006
    PAL February 24, 2006

Genre(s) - City-building game

Mode(s) - 1 Player

Rating(s) - ESRB: T

System requirements for PC -

[Minimal]

Pentium III 800 MHz or equivalent
    RAM: 256 MB
    Video Memory: 64 MB
    Hard Drive Space: 3500 MB
    Other: Windows 98/Me/2000/XP-compatible 16-bit sound card​

City simulation is a genre that I have been dealing with since my childhood. I love this genre not only because it has made an irrevocable position in the gaming world or its just that I am fond of buildings and infrastructural wealth. City simulation could have become a senile jolly genre if it hadn't been thrusted forward by the Sim City series. The Sim City games is not only meant for normal people to experience the world of city-planning but is also nowadays being used as an instrument by architects and city planners for checking out their projects or testing whether their projects are feasible enough to pick traffic and ease congestion. However, Sim City is a different thing on its gameplay polity and the graphical representation that keeps it away from other city simulation titles.

Tycoon City : New York is developed by Deep Red that alone are well experienced in presenting out a better city simulator whose previous efforts include notably Vegas Tycoon and the well perceived Monopoly Tycoon. Deep Red have yet tried another contemplative title Tycoon City : New York which again has some or the other different thing to follow up. Tycoon City is really pretty on graphics and they have given enough courtesy to include a rolling camera as well, that allows you to see your city from particularly any angle, brilliant interface items and also keeps a good impression but overly the game lacks many predicted gameplay features and offers a sanely easy campaign, showing that the game virtually acts as a stress-buster.

[​IMG]
    Times Square looks realistic on Tycoon City New York

The game has two gameplay options to bag up an opportunity, Sandbox mode allows you to build New York continuously without hassle on a clean piece of land and the other is the New York mode which is more like an intricate epicenter of the whole game, the latter allows you to build New York on a wider scale area by area starting from the hip Greenwich village then to more renowned areas such as Soho and Tribeca, Chinatown, Manhattan and many more areas. The campaign embarks giving you brief details about movement and the camera and those sort of things, the tutorial is quite raucously explained in witty and sarcastic eloquence. Couple of starter challenges are just part of the extended tutorial allowing you to know each and every hint which could give you an advantage through processing into the game. The tutorial has explained everything on the basis of their necessity as you progress, not cramming everything at once..

The background of the campaign is that you are aimed to become an accomplished business entrepreneur looking to develop the city and it's obvious that you are gonna be entering some tough party of competitors that are going to hinder your ways. You have enough freedom to built almost anything that's present in a normal metropolitan city ranging from, grocery stores, car showrooms, tattoo parlors, clothing stores, cult centers such as schools, museums etcetera. Monuments as well can be built through manual collection of landmark tallies that you are awarded by completing challenges. There are varied challenges, most of them have you to satiate the population's needs. Nurturing about satiating the needs of people, you go to deal with the sphere of influence, meaning the circumference of the highlighted mark till where a particular shop can afford to deliver goods. It's highly rewarding to make subdistricts for each and particular genre of shops and residential outlook, like building cafes, mobile stores close to each other making the surrounding area unofficially a gizmo market, hence making the city more oriented and cleansed. It's vital to keep building stores according to the people's need in close proximity to residential areas. The rolling camera as well being one of the most effectual part in the game's strong suit, it allows you to see the city at any angle by dragging the mouse to and forth.

[​IMG]
    We're talking plain graphics, folks

Moreover, you can decorate and lighten the shops which increases the sphere of influence helping you make some sweet money. You can even put up advertising billboards and TV sets on top of buildings, showing that Tycoon City has done some unveilable in-game advertising. It's fun to see those adverts all over the city giving the city an original look.

The best part of the game is when you have a full-fledged city commuting, it's amazing to feel the breeze of it, watching people go and come, you can even hear their conversations on restaurants and cafes commenting about the city's good or bad aspects, which in direct proportion shows the enormous detailing. Another interesting feature is the shop customization via an upgrade system that contains limited no. of points that can be used to customize a particular building, they may differ according to size of buildings. These can indirectly help to increase the shop's sphere of influence, meaning more profit... more progress.

The game is easy, smooth and a virtual heaven. But what it lacks are some more incentive features which could have given it more depth. All you do is just, build shops in close proximity to residential areas, customize them to increase the sphere of influence and easily escape out of competition. Actually, if you could adjust prices of shops and had a control over roads which are automatically built as you grope through new areas, just could give the game more lasting appeal, enormity to detail and some more score. The campaign moreover offers a very easy journey, which maybe an advantage or a flaw; But for me, it directly acted as a stress buster, showing that you don't really have to use your brains to an extent... just build, earn and watch your own city grow.

[​IMG]
    The burgeoning interface, with a window of helpful message.

Graphics is also one of the most strongest point in the game, nicely rendered buildings and landmarks, 3D models of cars and buses also are really well visualized. There are few cutscenes as well which are quite good. Visually, people strolling around also look really very less polygonal and 3D looking.

Sound effects are very frisky and enjoyable, the rumbles of the cars and buses, the delightful din of conversations between people on the streets. Wholly, the sound affects the game in giving out a better city environment.

The game's smooth presentation with an easy and hassle free features don't pose any threat to you if you want to live and breath in a 3D virtual city. But rightly it overwhelms you by not including some more possible features. The detailed tutorial and exceptional graphics along with some other small gameplay touch-ups is a decent start for anyone who wants to deal with this genre. But for professional city simulation gamers it still remains a dilemma lacking some incentive features.

Now, lets move on to the scores -

Presentation – 8/10 – With decent gameplay and good graphics, it keeps up its momentum to the end but could have slightly managed to induct a little more features. Tycoon City : New York, features a mini New York in its self.

Graphics – 9/10 – Certainly, was the one of the main reasons I bought this game. Unfortunately, the game doesn't hold enough power to back up those cool looks.

Gameplay – 6/10 – It's pretty much a build and earn game not featuring in depths, which could have made the game seriously competitive to Sim City, only if it could...

Sound – 8/10 - Sound is certainly on aspects that overdrives your experience, it'll make you feel that you are actually inside the game.

Replayabilty – 7/10 – It's a sound experience at first then I guess you can make New York with a different mindset again in the Sandbox mode.

Total Score – 38/50 – Coincidently, both of my recent reviewed games have the same total score. Back to the game, it's very intuitive for a decent newcomer to try this game out, it will certainly hail you to its good graphics and detailed interface. As for a pro, you'd better try waiting for Sim City 5, than wasting time on this game, it's truly not their type.

Closing comments -

Now, for a while I was thinking that the review section is missing some very good reviews namely MGS 4 or some GTA's, I'd love to do a review for MGS 4 but right now I am really off touch of it and haven't yet completed the game yet, if somebody can, then please I really want to see how are Romulation's views about it.

[​IMG]
    The New York Skyline, dominated by The Empire State Building and The Brooklyn Bridge

References -

boxart courtesy - Gamershell.com
    system information courtesy - Wikipedia.org
    minimum system requirements courtesy - Gamespot.com

Possible next review - [PC] - The Last Remnant

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Great review :)

3. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Just read it, seems like a game that I'd buy :)

4. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Nice!!
    It's feel like I'm wanting to buy that game now... :)

5. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

All I can say is....Great Review!

Do you have some-saught of job in game reviewing? :)

6. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

Awesome review :) I love Tyccon style games. Haven't tried this one yet though.

7. Kingo33

Kingo33 Well-Known Member

Nice that game lookz great