1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Offtopic, Internet Speed Router are Line ?

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by Jhon 591, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Just asking, Is you're Internet Speed based on you're Router are Phone line used ?

This is 8MB's speed, http://www.postoffice.co.uk/broadband-phone/premium?campaignid=AF_HP&awc=3732_1426971095_586711b5d30e75f7a9a489ff06d67c8d

But sure if you used a better Routher then they provide... that just might work ?

Are is it on there end also ? .

My 3G Dongal pen faster then that at 21 MB's , But paying more then it's worth in voters ,

It's a good deal, I know I sound a nob asking this.

Cheers guy's .

Please Loony, far ward if not right place to add.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

no its based on the equipment at the other end of the line (the DSLAM) and the length (and quality) of the phone line. Can also be affected by other things. Are you sure its up to 8mb? I'd expect it to be up to 24.

For what its worth, you do not have to have broadband and phone from the same provider.

edit: Other thing to bear in mind, with 3g your speed will vary depending on how many people are on the same cell (tower) as you are on. With landline broadband you will get more or less the same speed all day and night unless something happens.

3. Jhon 591

I see thanks so much loony .

This is what this page mention about the 8MB speed at PO - http://www.money.co.uk/broadband/unlimited-broadband.htm

But I agree with you should be faster then this even so 24 you would expect at lest! .

kind of rubbish yes, But may this might be better for cost and speed - https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/unlimited/?WT.mc_id=sem_013

I'm trying to hunt about for a good deal between phone and internet only, But as always line Rental gets in the way a bit .

If these company's think if just call it a "One Price Only" they would steel the country lol ;) .

But I have no issues with my dongal speed at all ;) .

----------------------

Edit: They are Three phone lines in the house, over years one was broke off but was a BT line "At the time it was still working", After a re cut for fresh Wires there are Green / Orange / Black and White PS: "No mixed Colour's at all" - I think Orange might wire to Slot 2 of phone Socket and White slot 5, but unsure , I have a "Spare Router" I'll get back soon I left it somewhere, And I do have a "PC WIFI" Pen Software is installed , And have no phone to test if still live, will get one.

Almost very same to this

[​IMG]

Just need help in the Wire ing correctly part ?

Also they is an old cable and wireless line, company long gone , Other virgin media long gone .

Cheers all .

4. Loonylion

which one is the master socket? (might have a split front plate, might not, depends how old it is) If necessary take the front plate off and look at the back of it, the master socket will have a capacitor in it. (and will usually be the one closest to where the line enters the house)

5. Jhon 591

Sorry Master ?

I bought this http://www.wilko.com/electrical-accessories/wilko-flush-telephone-exten-socket/invt/0342526#

The original one was log ripped out from it Wires , so I re-cut and refreshed the wires, As I mention the back is same as on image two above .

Sorry just trying to get what you say ?, I'm a image person so Showing me a Image/photo will do good for me ? :) .

If it is working as a line though, I'm sure the Router internet would light up ?, I'm asking my dad to pick it Router up for me So will have it later! .

6. Loonylion

the master socket is responsible for providing a ring signal on extensions. It also demarcates the point at which BT's responsibility ends and yours begins.

Have a look at this page: http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm. You need to identify which of the sockets in your house is the master. In some houses it's in the attic.

7. Jhon 591

Just the square box, I assumed was there at the time, the one I got shows No resister like a rounded thing , EDIT are shows NO ring capacitor inside of socket .

Kind Of exact to what I have.

[​IMG]

But I do have a ASDL adapter 2 way , between router and line .

I'll give all a try when he brings my Router back later from my sis , I was trying it there too but dead line as no light indication for internet .

The Router dose work with my PC as try it sometime ago .

Cheers Loony .

8. Loonylion

the router will not work at this point.

The faceplate you bought is no good, it's for an extension. You need to find the master socket that's already in the house, and establish if there is a dial tone on it with a phone (I doubt there will be if you're not already paying for a phone service)

9. Jhon 591

We are taking years years, Well thrown out .

How ever the virgin media , master socket still in the other line .

Maybe I could use this to the BT one ?

look a bit like the NTE5 A Faceplate one .

EDIT like this one

[​IMG]

PS: sorry no phone to test tone , maybe I'll need one first .

The issue was at the time BT, it was cut off, but however still working , was strange.

10. Loonylion

if you have no BT line at all you will need to have BT fit one, which will cost 120 quid.

I strongly suggest you sign up on http://forum.kitz.co.uk and ask for help in the 'telephone wiring and equipment' board. Give them as much detail as possible about what you have in your house, and obviously don't mention this site. You are NOT allowed to touch any wiring before the master socket, it belongs to BT and is illegal to interfere with.

11. Jhon 591

The lines there, just not the master socket , Like I mention I could use the virgin media master socket , unscrew and add to the BT line .

Yes well "not me" lol .

Last year was on free WIFI for a year, Some Unsecured NetGear in the area, But started to act up a bit be four it vanished, very strange .

However my sister dose have a master BT socket , that has a dead line, maybe I could use that .

12. Loonylion

as I said, you can't touch the line, it's BT property. If you have an odd/very old configuration they may 'normalise' it for free but you'd have to ask on Kitz about that. FYI there ARE BT engineers who frequent the Kitz forums, so be careful what you say regarding tampering with BT property.

If you PM me your post code I can look up and see what sort of speeds you'd be able to get (rough estimate).

13. Jhon 591

No that OK about post code, it's still not my place kind of yet, he would not be happy .

Maybe I'll just go in for a Deal if any good, And pay for it legally , some offer 6 month off are some think like that .

WIFI was one thing untraceable , but land line is other to mess with, but who knows was not me maybe some kids messing about !lol , na not really .