1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Obtaining a password

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by Lephantome92, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Lephantome92

Lephantome92 Well-Known Member

Basically, this is for help with this: http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=48311.0 . I'm 95% sure that the 2 signals are from my dad's computer for wifi. One is guest, the other, his. Now, guest is turned off, and I know how to turn it on, but if I turn it on, my dad will suspect something, so no luck with that. However, the other wifi source has a WEP key, which I assume ta be his password. Any help?

2. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

Tell your dad you messed up and that you need a password...?

I'm sorry but a password cannot be obtained without the instruction booklet or the owner of the access point.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

wep can be broken very easily but to do so is illegal and punishable by jail time, therefore I am not going to disclose how to do it.

4. Lephantome92

that stinks. I wonder if any of my sisters found it, or if he wrote it down? My sisters have found soo many passwords it's near hysterical!! Thing is, where would he write it? Must think

5. Arcwolf09

Arcwolf09 Guest

You can break any code of any device that you own. Its similar to the ipod thing and dvd rips that are now legal. As long as it is your own you can do whatever you want with it.

6. Lephantome92

Grr, looking online briefly, all I can find are things to use on Windows 7 to remove the password, not somehow show it. Hopefully I wasn't vague with this: I wanted to get it by looking on his computer so I can get wifi on my ds. DS browser is currently useless!!
    Post Merge: [time]1286657804[/time]
    Well, now to just wait for when he is logged off/shut down (he doesn't always log off, in fact he rarely does, but him coming down to find the computer he didn't lock locked, he'd be highly suspicious), and I can try this http://laptoplogic.com/resources/how-to-crack-a-window-s-password-in-5-minutes
    @ LoonyLion I really hope I don't sound disrespectful with this at all. If ya go to the link, the paragraph at the bottom that starts with "Note:" says that it's perfectly fine on your own computer; it's illegal if it's someone else's

7. Loonylion

its your dad's network, not yours. The court could still view it as breaking into someone else's system without authorisation.

8. Arcwolf09

Arcwolf09 Guest

Only if his dad is will to prosecute him lol

9. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

What kind of father will do such a thing anyway? He will be involved in a pointless court case.

10. Loonylion

trust me, there are parents like that.

11. Arcwolf09

Arcwolf09 Guest

Thats true.

12. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

It could be a set-up innall,dont believe everything you read on here.

I would have thought that the OP could easily sneak onto the computer for 30 secs-unless its locked like if he goes to the toilet.

And if you did get it,then lost your DS,could someone then get the info off the DS and gain access to your fathers network?????

13. Lephantome92

Haha near paradox!!: I'm still a minor, so if my dad would sue me, he'd actually be suing himself as far as I can remember the law!!
    @LookintheMirror: Very few people would even want the info, cuz I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I don't keep my address on my ds in any format, so if someone found it, they'd nearly have to use forensics just to get my home!! Plus with all the techie stuff involved in wifi, (as far as I know) it'd be near impossible to find the source from the object, I think. I know that you can find if an object is using wifi via a source, but still, unspecific.

14. theunderling

So if your father knows all that,then why is he not giving you the password/access then.And are you saying that you cannot get on it for 2 minutes to find out the info for yourself.
    And if you cant,then whats he doing on it............LOL

15. Lephantome92

Well, just cuz I'm impatient, I'm googling how to find it whilst he's online. Anybody know already? Like I said, checking google also.
    Post Merge: [time]1286752152[/time]
    I wonder if it's the HomeGroup password? Must look into the issue when I can
    Post Merge: [time]1286755948[/time]
    Grr!! The only password that I can see how to find is the Homegroup password, and I tried it, and fail!!

16. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Why can't you just ask your father?

17. Lephantome92

Cuz he'd probably think I'm up to no good, and he knows what DS browser is about (Idk if you want to count that as relevant), and I doubt that he'd give it to me. Sad thing is, he didn't write it down, and not even my mom knows it. Now he doesn't do bad stuff, just I really don't know why keep it locked then. Grr!! I really need to learn to sort out my thoughts!!

18. Lephantome92

Anyone try Ophcrack on Windows 7? If so, did it work successfully to simply find the password, and not reset it?

19. Lephantome92

I googled ophcrack extensively, and found nothing of compatibility with Windows 7.

20. theunderling

You still havent tried Tirriths suggestion-you should listen to him