1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Novels To Read

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by tarotmaniac, Jul 24, 2010.

1. tarotmaniac

tarotmaniac Well-Known Member

I'm Very Interested in SciFi And Fantasy. I love Fringe And After Watching Inception Which FYI Was The Best Ever Movie I Have Seen, My Interest in reading scifi returned. So I was wondering If you guys know of any novels similar to Fringe or Inception in terms of plot elements or feel. You can also suggest any good fantasy novels. I'm in need of new books to read. Thanks :*

2. Griffandir14

Griffandir14 Well-Known Member

Just read one that was crazy funny, John Dies at the End by David Wong

3. tarotmaniac

I just researched on this and it looks promising. :D

Also I forgot to mention I'm also into Supernatural Novels Like The Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris :D

4. Griffandir14

Try the Hollows series by Kim Harrison. Sometimes it's a bit much though.

5. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy, go go.

6. nhi_po

nhi_po Well-Known Member

Twilight.
    AH NO KILL ME NOW.
    But really now...
    Ghost Hunt is good :] S.M. Peters

7. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

This.

Don't forget to read its three sequels.

8. Griffandir14

There are four sequels; So Long and Thanks for All the Fish, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, one I don't remember the name of, and Mostly Harmless. I think someone wrote a sixth one also, but since the multiverse obliterated itself in the fifth one Mostly Harmless, I have no idea where they would take the story

9. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

uh... it's a "trilogy of six"...

also i forgot to mention earlier,
    have you only seen one movie?

10. personuser

My book only mentions three others. Must be an old print. Sorry bout that.

11. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

1 The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    2 The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    3 Life, the Universe and Everything
    4 So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
    5 Mostly Harmless
    6 And Another Thing...

First 5 are by Douglas Adams the 6th one is by Eoin Colfer

Also you should try out some Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels if you like fantasy with a comic twist.

12. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

issac asimov is classic sci-fi

13. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

The first four are the most worth reading. The other two, not so much.

If you like Sci-Fi, Ender's Game was really good (I forgot the author, but it shouldn't be too hard to find). There are tons of sequels, but if you don't want to be subjected to political views not so slyly inserted into the text, you may not want to go past the first two books.

14. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

orson scott card. it has a lot of religious subtexts as well.

15. personuser

It was required reading for school last year :D

16. Griffandir14

If you read Ender's Game, then you might want to read the companion novel, Ender's Shadow. It tells the same story but from the perspective of Ender's friend Bean.

17. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

The "His Dark Materials" trilogy: "Northern Lights" ("The Golden Compass" if you're not British), "The Subtle Knife" and "The Amber Spyglass".

The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett <3<3<3
    If you don't want to start from the beginning of the Discworld series (the early books aren't particularly good when judged by the standard that Pratchett later sets, and the cannon for the Discworld series wasn't set in stone until later books in the series; so there are continuity errors in the early books); "Guards!, Guards!" is a great book to begin with. Or you could try "Going Postal"; it's very late in the series, but you don't have to have read any of the other books to understand it.

An extract from almost right at the beginning of "Going Postal".
    They say that the prospect of being hanged in the morning concentrates a man's mind wonderfully; unfortunately, what the mind inevitably concentrates on is that it is in a body that, in the morning, is going to be hanged.
    The man going to be hanged had been named Moist von Lipwig by doting if unwise parents, but he was not going to embarrass the name, in so far as that was still possible, by being hung under it. To the world in general, and particularly on that bit of it known as the death warrant, he was Albert Spangler. And he took a more positive approach to the situation and had concentrated his mind on the prospect of not being hanged in the morning, and most particularly on the prospect of removing all the crumbling mortar from around a stone in his cell wall with a spoon.
    So far the work had taken him five weeks, and reduced the spoon to something like a nail file. Fortunately, no one ever came to change the bedding here, or else they would have discovered the world's heaviest mattress. It was the large and heavy stone that was currently the object of his attentions, and at some point a huge staple had been hammered into it as an anchor for manacles. Moist sat down facing the wall, gripped the iron ring in both hands, braced his legs against the stones on either side, and heaved. His shoulders caught fire and a red mist filled his vision but the block slid out, with a faint and inappropriate tinkling noise. Moist managed to ease it away from the hole and peered inside.
    At the far end was another block, and the mortar around it looked suspiciously strong and fresh. Just in front of it was a new spoon. It was shiny. As he studied it, he heard the clapping behind him. He turned his head, tendons twanging a little riff of agony, and saw several of the warders watching him through the bars.
    `Well done, Mr Spangler!` said one of them.
    `Ron here owes me five dollars! I told him you were a sticker! He's a sticker, I said!'
    `You set this up, did you, Mr Wilkinson?' said Moist weakly, watching the glint of light on the spoon. `Oh, not us, sir. Lord Vetinari's orders. He insists that all condemned prisoners should be offered the prospect of freedom.'
    `Freedom? But there's a damn great stone through there!'
    `Yes, there is that, sir, yes, there is that,' said the warder. `It's only the prospect, you see. Not actual free freedom as such. Hah, that'd be a bit daft, eh?'
    `I suppose so, yes,' said Moist. He didn't say `you bastards.' The warders had treated him quite civilly this past six weeks, and he made a point of getting on with people. He was very, very good at it. People skills were part of his stock-in-trade; they were nearly the whole of it.

"Bad Omens" by Terry Pratchett and an over-rated (IMAO) author called Neil Gaiman.

18. tarotmaniac

I've seen a lot of movies. I only meant that it was the best movie I've seen in a while and I can consider it the best movie for me. I mean how long have you seen a great movie that makes you think or that amazes you that isn't a remake or based on a book?
    Post Merge: [time]1280221174[/time]
    I've already Read His Dark Materials and Good Omens :D They Were a great read. I think I'll check out Discworld.

19. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

Embarrassing to admit, but I was wrong in saying that Pratchett and Gaiman wrote a book together called "Bad Omens"; it was called "Good Omens". :(
    It is an amazing book.

20. King Cookie

King Cookie Well-Known Member

I've read all Ender's Game series and the Shadow series. They were both amazing.

The Foundation Trilogy was great as well.