1. This forum is in read-only mode.

No computer issues when I take them to school, but have them at home...

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by Tomoka, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

As you all can tell by this topic, my issues are back. :(

With my desktop, I can't hardly install/run anything without errors, screen flashes, doesn't always read all the ram, same thing's it's always been...I hook it up at school, NO ISSUES...

2 Laptops...Can't really install/run anything, and I always let them sit for 3 hours shutting down before I do so manually...I take it to school, NO ISSUES...

I need to know ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that can cause locational problems...I already know about microwaves, scanners, cable boxes, radio's, etc...What else could there be causing my issues?

If you guys can't help me figure this shit out, I'm gonna start demanding we move...And that won't pretty, my dad HATES to move...

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

They are connected to the same internet line yes?

Try having them unconnected, maybe something in the line is hating on you

3. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

That could be the case...But after I get it back from the shop, I do not have issues...Until I connect it to the internet that is...And also, about my laptops, they connect wirelessly, and they have no issues when not connected I don't think...Will test...AT&T has been quite the bitch when it comes to supplying good internet..So I will disconnect and do some more tests...Any other advice would be great in the meantime.

4. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

I thought you figured out it was your houses electrics.So if you havent moved,or got an electrician to re-wire your house,then its going to be the same :p

5. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

When you are out, Do you still use the internet wirelessly?

If wired, then something is really wrong with the wifi parts :S

6. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

I've been sick for a while and been using my laptop in the hospital, so I haven't been able to test by removing my net yet. =/

And my desktop is wired only...I have tried both wifi/wired at school for the laptops. I'll probably reply with results to testing without internet soon.

7. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

I hope all the Hospitals electrics and stuff are still ok LOL

8. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Are you saying your issues only occur when you connect to the internet from your house?

Do you have something absolutely stupid going on with your network setup?
    Do you have internet security?
    Keep in mind that the school has somewhat better security measures than what you have at your house.

My guess is that you have a dormant virus that only activates on a network that isn't protected, and it affects all of your computers on the network, but when at school, it's gone because the school network has some provisions on keeping the virus inactive or it simply doesn't run wild because it doesn't meet the criteria that would activate it.

Long stretch, and extremely vague, I know. But it's the closest thing I can think of. When diagnosing the issue, make sure that all of your systems are CLEAN, and by clean I mean spotless, no viruses, no spyware, even tracking cookies, and get rid of every single trainer, crack, hack, whatever, just to be sure.

Once you practically certify that your systems are all clean, then we can at least rule out infection.

After that, we can start ruling out environmental. Switch power outlets, switch power strips, switch everything, but only one thing at a time. If you are certain it is something in your house, take your stuff over to a friend's house and see what happens. Also, if it is network related, like I'm guessing, only test one computer at a time, while the rest are powered down and/or disconnected physically from the network.

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

If a laptop, the wi-fi functions can be disabled, I press a switch and i can kill the wifi feed to my laptop.

As for the desktop, just rip out the internet cord.

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

He also has a 2wire router, my experience of those is not good. The company my dad works for used to have one and it would drive both of us to distraction because it was so fickle and problematic. While its not likely to be the cause of the problems in and of itself, it may contribute. possibly to some of the things insane was suggesting.

11. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

Not that I know of. o.o
    Yes.
    On the internet connection? I have mine encrypted to WPA2...
    Easily ruled out...Even after doing a factory restore on the laptops, I have issues. :(
    I've just did the following: Used 3 different power outlets, and 2 different power strips in each. I removed all electronics other than the desktop...Issues were still there...

I have done all of this right now before I went to school, and will soon disconnect the internet, and run my most strenuous test...If it is the issue, the first thing I'll do is change the router..
    I forget what your recommendation was for routers...Care to remind me?

12. Loonylion

not the same thing. You have a firewall built into your router, your school will more than likely have a dedicated firewall device such as a watchguard or a checkpoint, in addition to active directory security policies etc.

If you dont mind having a separate DSL modem, then ubiquiti airrouter, with either a siemens speedstream 4100 or a draytek vigor 120 in bridge/half-bridge mode as a modem. If you want an integrated device then look at other draytek models.

13. insanecrazy07

My next guess is that it is something either hardware, or hardware configured through software. Leave all settings to default.
    Might I ask what kind? Firewall? Defense? Antivirus? If you don't have complete control over what connects to the internet, what makes modifications to the registry, what creates new files, what gives complete access to a program, then you don't have security. A firewall is great, but it only does half of what you need. It only allows and disallows access using internet connections. If you have a virus, it can modify local stuff like registry entries, and create new files. If the virus is programmed to not connect to the internet, and just fucks around with your performance, you won't know it's there with just a firewall. However, with a defense program, you'll know when it asks for rights to access files, create new files, and obtain control over system processes like explorer.exe, or any number of your svchost.exes. You'll also know if the virus overwrites these files with infected versions, possibly a keylogger that monitors not only your keystrokes, but logs entries in any box that a password is entered into. It can also take screenshots periodically, and if set at a very small interval (like every second or every 2 seconds), it can impact your performance and eat up space on your HDD. It will most likely send out these reports and delete the evidence once they're sent out. The keylogger that I knowingly installed can be easily blocked using a defense program because it asks for control over screen capturing.

You need both a firewall and a defense program. An antivirus is only useful if you actually have a virus. Once you build up your rulesets for the firewall and defense program, you won't need an antivirus program because no future viruses will take hold. The only way for a virus to then infect the system is if you explicitly allow it through either the firewall or the defense program.

If you have any idea, then you would know that installing iTunes calls for a SHITLOAD of registry changes and access rights. So do Adobe products. If you didn't know that, then you have inadequate security.
    Answered by Loony.
    Also, you should have the same security setup (see long post above) on all of your computers to eliminate the possibility that the other computers are causing the issue.
    I'm leaning more towards hardware but I still haven't fully ruled out the lack of security. If you connected your factory restored computer to the network, it's already compromised. The only way I could say that it isn't the network causing the problem is if you run a factory restored computer without any network exposure.
    Read my other post again. Go over a friend's house and do the same tests using HIS outlets, and his power strips, not yours. If you get the same issues, we can rule out environmental. If not, then it is something in your house. Borrow a power strip and test it at your house to see if it is the power strip. It is unlikely that you have 2 faulty power strips, but still possible.

My last theory is that you did something to dislodge a connection. Make sure that everything is secured, plugged in properly, screwed in tight, etc.
    Make sure that your fans are working and haven't been dislodged. I hit my ancient computer one time and it caused a fan failure. The computer is now permanently slow because of it.
    Clear the dust out of the fans as well. I think you'll notice a difference after.

14. Loonylion

Ideally a friend in a different block/street, It's far fetched but not impossible that its a problem with the electricity supply from the substation you are on.

15. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

Is mostly always at default. :p
    I have many Adobe products installed....And did not know that. o.0

What should I be using? o.0
    It works fine until connected...Just tested..
    Done. No issues at his place.
    If that were the case, my builder would have noticed it.

I clean the fans on a daily basis.

16. insanecrazy07

I use COMODO Internet Security. I only use the Firewall/Defense+ features, since I don't need an antivirus, and I think the antivirus program they have is an afterthought. It scans pretty slow and for automated scans, it automatically quarantines. Not crack friendly.

Also, your regular round of antispyware programs, Spybot, spywareblaster, and anything else that can fill in gaps.

Get yourself a registry cleaner. I just ran Registry Clean Expert today for the first time since getting this computer back in July and it runs amazing. To load everything from startup (as in already logged in), it took on average 2 minutes, and now it's around 25-35 seconds.

This is most likely your problem. Something on your network is causing this or it is a virus that activates on a network. Shut off ALL other computers and all other devices capable of connecting to the network, and only connect the one computer to see if the issue is the one you're using or if it is another computer or device that is the cause.

I want you to get COMODO or a firewall with the option to Stop All Traffic. If it reverts back to normal while this option is active, then we know it is something local on the computer you're using and not one of the other computers. Do this on all of the other computers if you don't see an improvement. And obviously, turn off the option when you're done or else you won't have any connections coming in or going out.

This second method is similar with one little difference, all of the computers are connected to the network this time, just not sending or receiving traffic. It could be a benign process that is spamming connections causing a major slowdown. My HP printer processes sometimes receive over 600 connections when I'm not doing anything. I obviously block their connections unless I want to print something.

We can finally rule out environmental.

It is not likely so far, but there is that offchance that parts may move when transporting or handling the computer. Not likely, but possible. Do a quick check anyway.

Do you just clean the exterior, or do you take off the cover and CLEAN them? And by that I mean clean them with ethanol or isopropyl alcohol. Dab with a cloth, don't spray directly...
    --

Also, read carefully in any of the posts I've made concerning your issue. I don't like repeating myself, and my patience ran thin the last time I had to help someone. I hope everyone learned something from that experience.

17. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

Getting them now. :)
    Done. I use MBAM.
    I've heard those can damage the registry, but i'll try it anyways...
    As stated above, am working on this now. :)
    Will edit with results on all 3.
    Mmhm
    Okay, i've opened it up, and everything "Looks" to be in order...
    I mostly just clean the exterior...Kinda afraid to do much more to it...never cleaned the inside of anything before, so I'd need step by step instructions...
    Always do. :)
    I doubt I will make your patience run thin. :p (Unless my reply time is to horrible for you to stand. :( )

18. Loonylion

They can. That is why you need to make sure you get a reputable one and be very careful when using it. Even the reputable ones can cause damage if not used correctly.

19. insanecrazy07

It looks to me that MBAM only does malware, and not spyware. Either way, it is best to have multiple programs to have the best coverage. Get them anyway.

Here's the little warning that you get with Registry Clean Expert. It's the last option that separates it from any other registry cleaner. If you leave everything at default, you won't have any issues.
    [​IMG]
    It even makes you wait 10 seconds before enabling so I would recommend against enabling this last option.
    Always check the registry values that it wants to delete and WHY it wants to delete them. Make a backup just in case. Always use the Defrag Registry option after doing a big scan.

Just make sure that everything is secure.

Every computer is different, but you've already opened it up. The next step is to find where the fan is and clean the dusty parts.

20. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

Got it. I'll get a few extras.
    I'll get that one then. :)
    Done.
    Ok...I assume I should use an air can or something? Or should I use the Isopropyl Alcohol (Or w/e) as you mentioned earlier?

BTW. After I installed Comodo, ALL issues disappeared...Not a trace...I'll continue testing with it active. :p

I have one of them set to paranoid mode. xD

This pretty much sums it down to the network?