1. This forum is in read-only mode.

New to manga...

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga & Cartoons' started by Xynche, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Xynche

Xynche Well-Known Member

So I'm new to this whole manga thing and need some recomendations.

I've read;
    Death Note
    Future Diary (up to book 6)
    Battle Royale (first book but I didn't like it much)
    and I'm reading this romance one that I like for the ikky kissy face stuff

I started a few others and stoped because I didn't like anything about them.

I'm looking for manga with teenage main characters, a good story, and good art.

I like the supernatural stuff in Death Note and Future Diary so I guess I like whatever genre they fall into.

Any recomendations?

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

KissXSis is a romantic comedy, but be warned. They're is adult content and situations..but what does it matter these days. ::)

Some other good ones are:

InuYasha
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    Eureka Seven
    I really can't think of anymore...I've been into comics as of late. :p
    I find those more entertaining.

3. Kage56

Kage56 Well-Known Member

Nurarihyon no Mago <- youkai folklore galore
    Darker than Black
    Katekyoushi Hitman Reborn
    Fairy Tail
    Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
    Historys Strongest Disciple Kenichi
    The Lucifer And Biscuit Hammer
    Defense Devil
    Witch Hunter
    Zettai Karen Children
    Air Gear
    Mahou Sensei Negima
    Arago
    Code: Breaker

i love shounen manga, and most of these are shounen.

4. CrashmanX

CrashmanX Well-Known Member

Might I suggest High School of the Dead? If you can get past all the Ecchi stuff, it has an excellent story to it. A great manga for anyone IMO.

5. Xynche

Xynche Well-Known Member

I'll look into KissXSis
    Never heard of Eureka Seven, might look into that. I've watched the animeof the others and didn't really enjoy them much.

Can I get an idea of what these are about.

Sounds like zombies and boobs... 2 of my favorite things :D

6. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

The manga is better, but Eureka Seven was a masterpiece in itself. (The Anime).

7. Xynche

Xynche Well-Known Member

So read InuYasha and Fullmetal Alchemist, but watch Eureka Seven?

8. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

By all means read the mangas and watch the animes. I like them all. :)

9. kammithecamel

kammithecamel Well-Known Member

Bakuman is a pretty creative manga with teenage characters and an (in my opinion) interesting story. It's a realistic manga that lacks generic superpowers and demons, so I don't know if you'd like it much, but I think that you should at least give it a try. You should also look into The World God Only Knows. It's about a teenager who loves galges and has to apply the strategies he uses to pick up girls in games to make real girls fall in love with him and release the demons taking shelter in their hearts.

Katekyoushi Hitman Reborn is a gag/battle manga about a kid who becomes the boss of the world's most powerful mafia family. IMO, the story's okay, and the pages get too cluttered a lot. The heroes and a lot of the enemies are teenagers.

Fairy Tail is a pretty funny action manga that revolves mainly around three members of a mage guild. The main heroes are teenagers while almost everyone else is an adult.

Historys Strongest Disciple Kenichi is about a weak kid who stumbles into a dojo full of steroid-shooting masters from various types of martial arts. I used to find it hilarious, but it has lost some of its charm to me. If you like big boobs, you'll love Kenichi (almost ever girl has DD+). Mainly teenagers.

The Lucifer And Biscuit Hammer is a pretty good manga about a group of people who become "knights" in a game set up by a powerful mage and his sister to decide the fate of the world. It's action-y, and most of the characters are teenagers or in their early 20s.

Defense Devil is, in my opinion, one of the funnier mangas on Kage's list. It started as the adventures of the ex-prince of the demon world as he attempted to prove the innocence of new arrivals in hell, but is now about stopping the heir to the throne of hell.

Code: Breaker balances comedy and seriousness very well. It's about a group of people with special powers killing criminals. Full of action and teenagers.

I hope these incredibly brief summaries are of any help. I can go into more detail if you want.

10. Xynche

Xynche Well-Known Member

That will be enough to get a general idea, thanks for all the info I think I'll have a few manga backed up to last me a while :D

11. Lephantome92

Lephantome92 Well-Known Member

Is Fairy Tale shounen or shojo? I have a (female) friend who's into manga, and she said it's an interesting series.

12. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

Does it matter what it's labeled as?
    Shounen.