1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[NDS] Shin Megami Tensei Devils Survivor - raysie

Discussion in 'Game Reviews' started by sexywogboy, Jul 5, 2009.

1. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

(DS) Shin Megami Tensei Devils Survivor​

[​IMG]

When I first heard about this game months ago, I found it resembled to The World Ends With You alot. You play the game based in the CBD of Tokyo, you play as a teen that wears ear-phones and your mesteriously all of a sudden in a world where you fight demons. I put alot of expectations on this game just by looking at its game trailer. Luckily, the game proved to be even deeper and magnificant that even I expected.

The game starts off with full energy, you find your that your cousin has mesteriously given you and your two friends a new electronic called COMP's, which look very similar to a DS lite. These COMP's are very important in the game, as you use them to battle and summon demons and also use the COMP's to recieve emails, and one of the greatest features is Auctioning for demons to keep and fusing your demons together to make your deamons even stronger.

Everyday, the COMP's recieve mail telling them what major events will happen during the day, including murders, unexplained deaths, explosions etc, tutorials on how to use new features, which I found to be a godsend.The main character and your team quickly realise that if they don't change what is said to happen in the future, they will consequently die. As the main character and the leader of your group, you start to notice that people you walk by and meet have numbers over their head. The numbers shown on over their heads represents the number of days the particular person has to live.

The battles in Shin Megami Tensei Devils Survivor are very unique, that it mixes a few different styles of battles in the one game, and it works well. It uses a tactical style battling with a mix of original style RPG battling, most notibly seen in the Dragon Quest series. The game's use of not needing to continuasly use potions and ethers are also a much greatful feature. Finally an RPG game that actually has its mind set souly on the techniques of the humans and demons. Instead of using items that slow a game down, and consequently are the difference between winning and losing, wich we see in the majority of RPG games, Shin Megami Tensei Devils Survivor instead relies on magic techniques used by your characters and demons to recover HP and MP.

The game does have its down points though, its not very often you get stuck in a game during adventuring and when you do get stuck, most of the time it's against a huge amount of demons or bosses that seem to just want to slow you down so your gameplay hours rise. This can easily be beaten, just by training your characters and demons in free battles.

The character and demon designs are beautiful, and you get that feeling the creators of Shin Megami Tensei Devils Survivor worked hard on each and every character and demon in the game.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Auction feature in Shin Megami Tensei Devils Survivor is a great feature that you'll quickly rely on once you need stronger demons and also when you've run out of a number of demons while you've been fusing them. The auction is pretty straight forward, you bid for the selelcted demon you want and hope while bidding you can get the demon for a cheap price, though you do take the risk that you may lose the bid in the process. There is also a buy now feature that lets you buy the demon straight away, but you do have to pay a higher price then what you would winning a bid for a demon instead.

There is also a fusion feature in Shin Megami Tensei Devils Survivor. Fusing in Shin Megami Tensei Devils Survivor is a much appreciated feature and keeps you somewhat excited to see what the fusion result will be. In most cases you'll end up with a larger, stonger demon that will help you out on your adventure.

[​IMG]

Presentation- 8/10: The game is presented well. With it's great design of characters, demons and also the stylish look of Tokyo make this game a contender to The World Ends With You.

Graphics- 7/10: Shin Megami Tensei Devils Survivor uses a mix between GBA graphics and NDS graphics. But you quickly realise the game just wouldn't be the same without the feature of new and old graphics.

Sound- 8.5/10: The themes in and sounds in this game are top notch. You quickly realise that the sounds in this game also resemble The World Ends With You. The battle themes are quite nice and fit in with the battles. The game doesn't contain any dubbing of the characters, but I also feel the dubbing could've ruined the game.

Gameplay- 9/10: The gameplay is the game's biggest feature. With it's simplistic battle system and no need to use potions and eithers every second turn. You'll be wanting to train your team more often than you think. But it won't be the battles that make you want to keep coming back to play, it's the storyline and it's continueous use of mysteries that'll keep you coming back for more.

Replayability- 9/10: Going through the story once is great fun in Shin Megami Tensei Devils Survivor and most would gladly replay the game knowing there are no new features. But, to mu knowledge there are also 6 different types of endings that'll force you to want to play through Shin Megami Tensei Devils Survivor again.

Total Score- 41.5/50: Shin Megami Tensei Devils Survivor will appeal to classic and modern day RPG fans. With it's mix of adventure and RPG it is no wonder it rivals The World Ends With You in so many ways. If you've been waiting to play a great RPG DS game since The World Ends With You, well the time is now to play Shin Megami Tensei Devils Survivor. Don't let the score pull you down on this game, only on technicalities does the game fall in score. Shin Megami Tensei Devils Survivor is a must-have RPG DS game to add to your collection.

2. asdzxc123789

asdzxc123789 Well-Known Member

Re: [NDS] Shin Megami Tensei Devils Survivor - Sexywogboy

Awesome, a little low but still awesome ,but they wont accept I think.

3. sexywogboy

That's fine. I just enjoy typing out what I found to be good and bad of games. If it isn't liked that's fine.

Tell me what you think I should add to make it "acceptable".

4. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Nice review..
    The total score of 39.5/50 is good enough..

5. waylonn

waylonn Well-Known Member

Extended a little, and I would accept it! ;)

6. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

Good review. Lacks depth. If you expand it a bit more it could be great and will easily be accepted. Nice job :)

7. sexywogboy

Thanks guys. I'll get to adding more later on today, I'm just a bit busy at the moment. I could type 3 pages worth if I just had the time :p

8. Reider

Reider Modereider

Not sure if you're aware but you know that there's six different endings you can get, right?

Its certainly something to take into consideration with your replayability score if you didn't know beforehand.

9. sexywogboy

I certainly will keep that into consideration. When I was typing about this, I was going to blab on about how good it was, but then I realized that I could've made a review instead. I didn't really have time and still don't, I will get to adding a lot more soon.
    Post Merge: [time]1246858504[/time]
    I've added and expanded my review on Shin Megami Tensei Devils Survivor. I hope it's more acceptable. :)

10. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

Good work :)

11. 465740

465740 Well-Known Member

man nice review i finsished the game last week it ends when you kill the angels and then you come out in a world where demons are killing everyone and then honda says some things to u about how good it is

12. shinsengumi-0

shinsengumi-0 Active Member

13. Zero.EXE

Zero.EXE Well-Known Member

The intro to this game sickened me...

14. meeshelly

meeshelly Well-Known Member

I love this game, it's great... everyone should play it :)