1. This forum is in read-only mode.

MUD Client

Discussion in 'PC' started by boxihead, Jun 1, 2012.

1. boxihead

boxihead Well-Known Member

Hello.

I have started playing a MUD (Multi User Dungeons), the Discworld MUD which are text adventures. I like playing them, so I decided to get a Client. My first choice was ColdBeer, a MUD client made exclusively for the Discworld MUD. It was good, but rather feature lacking. My next one was Fire Client. Better than ColdBeer, good features, but every time I load my character, I get a message saying

'You are logged in uncompressed. Use of a MCCP capable MUD client will reduce your load on the Discworld System. '

What does this mean? Is the client good? Either way could one find me a good client. One with a hotkey option would be nice i.e only having to press a letter to move.

Thank you.

2. TechnicaT22

TechnicaT22 Member

MCCP is a way to compress MUD text data to reduce bandwidth. Your new MUD client probably doesn't support MCCP so all the client files are loaded uncompressed meaning larger bandwidth. Shouldn't be too much of a problem though, something as small as MUD shouldn't affect your bandwidth too much nowadays

3. boxihead

Thank you for explaining that.
    Post Merge: [time]1338526641[/time]
    Speaking of MUD's which is better Aardwolf or Discworld MUD. While I have a character in Discworld, I am (in game) poor, have no guild, am lost in Ankh-Mopork, and everything I have is in 'poor' condition. So telling me which one's better, does not need to be some long speech about the pro's and con's of both, just tell me.

4. TechnicaT22

TechnicaT22 Member

It really depends on your experience with MUD's. Most MUD's are quite similar to each other, bearing only different content. Similar to common FPS games like Call of Duty or Battlefield, a player that is skillful in Call of Duty won't find the adaption to Battlefield too difficult since they both share the same mechanics but with different content. To be honest, I haven't played an MUD in years, in fact the last time I ever even played one was 12 years ago so MUD's present are probably more advanced and different

5. boxihead

Okay, thank you.