1. This forum is in read-only mode.

.mkv to .avi converter

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by adfk, Sep 29, 2009.

1. adfk

adfk Well-Known Member

Anyone know a free mkv to avi converter? no those rubbish ones which only convert a little bit, i want one for free that converts it all! i've tried a few ones but they all have the problem above :'( Thanks guys ;D

2. Sbf93

Sbf93 Well-Known Member

Re: MKV TO AVI CONVERTER

Simply use the SUPER-converter
    http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
    It can handle many formats and is total free.

3. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

MKV is far better than AVI though, a player like MPlayer or VLC can play them just fine.

4. adfk

adfk Well-Known Member

does it convert all of it?
    How come?

5. Sbf93

Sbf93 Well-Known Member

Yes, it convert all of it!

By the way, Seph is right. mkv is better, because you can select which subtitles or audio-line you want to see/hear. If you convert to another format you have to choose before.

6. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

I could've sworn we've had this discussion before, Seph. Both of them are just container formats. The only real advantage mkv has is that it can natively include softsubs, too.

7. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

It can contain multiple media tracks.

8. adfk

adfk Well-Known Member

I want to put it on a dvd so it can play. But mkv can't play on any dvd player.
    Post Merge: [time]1254298576[/time]
    Doesn't work!! Only ten minutes. Thanks a lot (you don't think that was sarcasm by any chance?)

9. tehuber1337

Avi can, too. It's just that nobody uses it.
    SUPER is a free GUI for the free ffmpeg encoder. It has no limitations or "trial period" or anything; you must be doing something wrong.

10. adfk

adfk Well-Known Member

meh, i already got a conveter that works 100% :) but i was wondering- is mpeg better than avi or mkv?

11. tehuber1337

In this context, you're probably referring to mpeg as the container format. Container formats and the file extensions associated with them don't determine the quality of a video; they merely hold the audio, video, subtitle and other relevant data all together in one file.

If you want to discuss quality, you should be considering the codecs and bitrates used. However, if what you have now is poor quality, reencoding won't improve it.

12. I_always_Win

I_always_Win New Member

If u go to Download "Windows XP Codec PAck" it will download a cinema player that will play it. Just type it in too Google and u should get like the first one on the list.

13. adfk

adfk Well-Known Member

cool

14. kaylawang

kaylawang New Member

Aunsoft MKV Converter trial version is totally free and has little difference with the full version. It could convert MKV to many other formats including avi, mp4,mov, wmv, m4v, etc.
    For the full version of MKV converter, it only needs $9.9 now.

15. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Really?
    You saw the need to post some advertising for a bloody product in a post from 2009?