1. This forum is in read-only mode.

It's happened..My XBOX 360 got the rings!!!

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by houstontx224, May 16, 2010.

1. houstontx224

houstontx224 Well-Known Member

I went to fire up some Gears of War 2 with my son..Figured we'd go through on hardcore and then we got the red ring.
    Well, 3 parts of the circle. So, off it goes 1st thing Monday morning. Thank goodness it only has to go here in TX. So, hope
    fully it can cut down on its return time. I'm going to fill my time with extra Dreamcast and PS2 play. Pray for me. :)

HoustonTX224

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Well, at least you don't have to fix it yourself. :p

I have to fix mine because the asshole I bought it from opened it up and tried to fix it with the XClamp fix.
    He screwed it up and now I have to deal with it...

3. Sora1234

Sora1234 Well-Known Member

:'(

Same here.....Mines has a Error E74, and has 1 blinking red light. I just wanted to play Halo 3.

Does anyone know if it's fixable? My XBOX 360 loss it's warranty in March.

4. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

If you don't want to tear it apart and fix it yourself, then GameStop can fix your 360 as long as it hasn't been taken apart before.

5. houstontx224

Re: It\'s happened..My XBOX 360 got the rings!!!

Well I got my 360 in May 0f 2008 and of course the regular warranty ran out but, for the red rings its 3 yrs from the date of
    purchase. Hope it helps you some Sora1234
    Post Merge: [time]1273979930[/time]
    Wow, sorry to hear that ace101..I know thats a pain in the a**.!!

6. Reme

Reme Well-Known Member

Yeah the rings pissed me off pretty good since I got them 10 minutes into Final Fantasy 13 -.- i eventually bought my friends and was able to play and complete it but omg the fucking timing ugh

btw reason i didn't send it back in is because I've had that 360 since Xbox 360 came out :D

7. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

try cooling it down by putting it in front of a fan or air conditioner for a few hours. try the towel trick (that was a joke). open it up and see if it has any dust in the core parts. If it does, just clean it with some water and a clean rag.

8. dills2

dills2 Well-Known Member

buy a ps3 if you got the money

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

DON'T EVER CLEAN ELECTRONICS WITH WATER

10. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

uh I meant alchohol hehe (you're lucky loonylion came in or your xbox would really be broken)

11. Sora1234

Sora1234 Well-Known Member

Called Microsoft, and the warranty expired March 2010.....

12. miros

miros Well-Known Member

I remember when by box got the red ring of death. The way I saw it was, if I will get it once, then I will get it again. I figured that the best course of action was to send in my box to Microsoft for a replacement, and then sell the new box with all of my games, controllers, and accessories and use that money to purchase a PS3. On top of that, the majority of my friends who have had the red ring a few times before went out and got a PS3. So that is what I did, fortunately my eBay auction went way more than I thought it was going to, and after I received payment I drove down to my local Game Stop and bought a PS3 (120 GB Slim) and MW 2 and only went over my auction price like 25-30 USD.
    houstontx224, trust me on this when I say that you will be much better off with a PS3. When your xbox replacement comes, package everything together (ie. mics, controllers, games, cables, etc) and get as much money as you can for it. The PS3 does not have the problems that the xbox has, with the very minor exception of the YLOD, however that is only for the "phat" PS3 (ie. sub third generation models) and even then the percentage of those PS3s in the market that do get the YLOD is marginal. I will just stop there, I could just preach on and on about the advantages of owning a PS3 over a Xbox 360, however, it is you who will make that decision. For anyone to say otherwise is morally presumptuous. You have to do your research, read all the reviews, find all the good and bad things about the product and make your informed decision. Best of luck,
    miros

13. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

been there done that....twice
    i have an extended warranty from the shop i bought mine from, they will replace it if it breaks again

14. cuccio123

cuccio123 Well-Known Member

Don't drag a console war into this.
    You should know for a fact:
    Technology breaks. There is almost no piece of household technology that runs into problems.
    The PS3 breaks less, but it still breaks easily.

It's better to just know a local workshop where they fix things like this.
    (Open hardware, clean it, see what's wrong, look for broken parts, etc.)
    Then see what you can do.

I also noticed you said playing Gears with your son.
    Gears? With your son?

15. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I would dispute this, I've dropped my PS3 from about 4 feet and it did it no harm. I would definitely say its a pretty rugged peice of technology.

16. cuccio123

cuccio123 Well-Known Member

I tripped over it without landing on it and it broke.

:\

17. houstontx224

Re: It\'s happened..My XBOX 360 got the rings!!!

I have no prob playing GOW2 with my son..He knows it's a video games and my wife and I are raising him pretty good. Honor roll since kindergarten and now going to the 7th grade. At this point and time of his life we know who his friends where his is. Now the next few yrs will be the test...lol Sure, there are a few " bad words" throughout the game but, such is life. Can't hide everything from him. Goodness sakes he's 12 going on 13.
    Post Merge: [time]1274021612[/time]
    I definitely do appreciate the " debate" and concerns but, as for now I'm staying with my XBOX 360. Granted I know of people on
    both sides of this (PS3 and XBOX 360 failures). I'm happy with my purchase and I'm sure if/ when the PS3 drops a bit more in price I'll be picking one up . Each have there +'s & -'s so , why not be happy and play what and both if you like. Enjoy.

18. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

I'm with Loony on this one I had my PS3slim standing "bookend" and one of my cats brushed up against it knocked it over off the top of my entertainment center (about 5 foot) it slammed onto the side shelf and fell on its top course the power and HDMI cable got jerked out. I knew sure as hell it was broken. I picked it up and checked it out and even shook it to see if I would hear any rattling and decided to hook it back up and it fired right up with no problems what so ever. I've moved it to a safer place just in case.

From what I gather RRoD is pretty simple to fix with a kit. I am currently in process of buying one from someone local and if all works out I won't be out much fixing it myself and it will be a lot cheaper than buying one new.

19. omgwtfitzben

omgwtfitzben Well-Known Member

Eh, when I got red rings, I just payed $100 and gave me a brand new one with a bunch of microsoft points and extra membership. I hated it though, took like 2 weeks to deliver. But it happens, which such a nice console comes the downside.

20. phscarface

phscarface Well-Known Member

That's true...
    Neither alcohol if you wantkeep it workable as before.
    Use a damp cloth, wet with water!

Or better yet, assembly a High ended PC to play latest games. PS3 and 360 is like the same.