1. This forum is in read-only mode.

It's almost new PC time

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by msg2009, Mar 3, 2015.

1. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

Mine is getting old now and is retiring into the corner behind me to play nothing but old DOS games.

I want something that will run all games on PCSX2 at full speed, not necessarily on full settings though, if it costs an arm and a leg I won't bother. I'm perfectly happy with native settings if the price is good, but for a little bit extra and a good performance upgrade I'm willing to spend more.

I was looking at this site, I'm too lazy to build one because I work 6 days a week, I just want to enjoy it.
    http://www.palicomp.co.uk/custom-pc.html

I haven't followed PC stuff in years and I was considering the AMD Vishera FX-8350 @ 4.0Ghz but other people told me it was rubbish and I would be better off spending more(double?) on an i7. I'd like it to be as futureproof as possible but not at a huge price increase, I want as much bang for my buck as possible, not just the best stuff on the market right now. Is an i5 a better option?

GPU's? I don't even know where to start. I like my ancient Nvidia Geforce 8600GT, I don't do PC gaming much so as long as it does PCSX2 perfectly and a bit more, I'm happy.

Motherboard? I haven't a clue. Something with plenty of expansion slots would be nice, my current PC has three HDD's which I use for different things.

Case? I don't even know where to start.

RAM. I've decided 16GB is enough. Is it worth paying extra for the DDR3 2133Mhz?

I don't want an SSHD, it looks too expensive for what it is. I'll spend the money on a large capacity HDD.

I want internal WiFi.

Should I spend on better cooling or bigger PSU?

So, if you guys can have a look and give me some ideas I'd appreciate it. Remember, powerful but cheap is what I want, not just top of the range. Anything you really think I should get despite price though feel free to recommend it, price isn't an issue, my being tight and wanting the most for my money is the only issue here.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

AMD is better bang for buck when you're on a budget. 'rubbish' is what intel fanboys say to discourage people from buying AMD stuff.

Intel i7s do perform better than AMD chips, BUT they cost a lot more, plus are not upgradable (Intel changes the socket with every revision, making the new chips incompatible with existing boards, whereas AMD tends to keep the same socket for a number of years, meaning you can flash the bios (if necessary) and put a newer processor in your existing board.) Performance wise my i7 3770k outperforms an 8 core vishera on single core apps, but on multicore is very close to the same rating as the vishera. i5s are not worth the money, you're better off getting an AMD rather than an i5.

RAM wise don't bother going over 1866 if you go AMD, if you buy intel you can, but it will cost more.

don't look for a motherboard or computer with internal wifi, you're unnecessarily restricting yourself. it's something that's easy enough to add yourself, and the best way of doing that is to buy an intel mini pcie wlan card and an adaptor.

PSU needs to be a good brand, but cooling is also important, which factors in to your choice of case.

You need to decide if you want to go the i7 route, bearing in mind that will cost more, probably substantially so, and then we can help you better.

3. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Don't listen to them, you'll be wasting a lot of power with an i7 unless you're 3-screening 4k or something.

4. msg2009

PCSX2 can now use multi-core CPU's right? So if the Vishera is perfectly capable of playing the games at full speed then I'm leaning towards that because of the cheap price.

5. Blazemax

Blazemax Well-Known Member

If you only going to run ps2 emulator, you should know majority of the games doesnt run perfectly. Even with a powerful computer you might be expecting glitches and sound problems. It would be cheaper just to buy a modded ps2 and burn games for it. PCs are one of those constantly evolving, money suckers. To simplify it, if you are looking for a pc to play it look at this info.

http://pcsx2.net/support/links/faq.html#S2Q1

Its usually best to look up what you are wanting to play, then get the hardware equivalent for it. Also fun fact, sometimes a more powerful part can also make the program not work. Why does this happen, i have no clue. just another reason pc has issues alot. Good luck with your machine. Hope everything turns out well....on your wallet too, cause if you mess up, you will be digging into more funds to fix it. Its a money sucker i tell you, a bottomless pit of tears, sweat and all your money.

6. msg2009

Yeah, I've been playing PCSX2 on my old Phenom 2.2 quad core and nVidia 8600GT for years. I know some don't work properly, and I can already play a lot of slow games such as RPG's at full speed on native settings. I can't be bothered to buy a PS2 and mod it, I have dozens of consoles and I can never be bothered to plug them in, dig through a big box for the game I'm looking for etc. I want one click of an icon and done.

I'm not JUST going to run PCSX2, it's going to be the computer I use daily. I don't really care for PC gaming though so I don't want it to be able to play the latest games at a huge cost, I will just buy games for PS4.

What are your guys thoughts on the nVidia GTX750? Seems a good price, the next one up on the list GTX760 is £100 more expensive.

7. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

For what you want to do it's fine. Aside question I can't be bothered Googling, does PS4 run at 60fps?

8. msg2009

Thanks for the help so far guys, you've been much more helpful than most. So GTX750, 16GB 1866 RAM and Vishera are OK.

Is there any reason to upgrade the motherboard/case/cooling? I though that the ZALMAN MS800 PLUS Black Case USB3/Speed Control looked cool but is it worth +£60.00?

The Mobo is the thing now I really want to get right, this means nothing to me, all I see is price increases:
    ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Featuring AMD 760 Chipset
    GIGABYTE 970A-DS3 With AMD 970 Chipset (+£35.00)
    GIGABYTE 970A-D3 With AMD 970 Chipset (+£45.00)
    GIGABYTE 970A-UD3 With AMD 970 Chipset (+£60.00)
    GIGABYTE 990XA-UD3 With AMD 990X Chipset (+£65.00)
    GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD7 With NEW AMD 990FX Chipset (+£170.00)

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

they're different models. First off, you don't want the Asus one, its a 760 chipset which is way older than the fx CPUs. Good board, just not really designed to run an fx, though thanks to AMD sticking with the AM3+ socket it likely would run one.

the 970/990 series chipsets were designed for the fx series CPUs. You need to look at the spec pages for each board and decide which features you want, because the cheaper ones have less features (maybe fewer USB ports, fewer SATA ports, things like that) and make sure the board can support the TDP of your chosen CPU

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Intel's major kick in the groin policy sadly :(

11. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

You should grab a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO cooler. They're very cheap right now and still do a great job.