1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Is Xbox live going to be free?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JohnnieBob, Nov 9, 2009.

1. JohnnieBob

JohnnieBob Well-Known Member

I heard that after Christmas 09 they are making xbox live free, is it true?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

not to my knowledge.

3. fdgsaoralex

fdgsaoralex Well-Known Member

it's probably just a roumour from one of your friends.

4. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

It's just a rumour, Microsoft wouldn't cut down on at least 65% of their profits.

5. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

no.....microsoft is stupid and wouldn't offer anything free except what they have left over from a flop program or operating system......or through a college promo.....like windows 2003 (not a flop!!XD)

6. MerchantGhost

MerchantGhost Member

They would be stupid if they DID make Xbox live free.

7. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

i don' like them too much!!

8. indianCHAN

indianCHAN Well-Known Member

Microsoft isn't stupid, Microsoft is just a money-grubbing demon.

9. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Or Microsoft has a reason for the 5 dollars a month on Xbox Live? Surely that money can't be used for hosting content and incorporating stuff like Party Chat/Achievements/Custom Music and soon to be Last.fm, Facebook, and Twitter. Oh, they also handle the entire online functionality for each game (with the exception of network code).

Even if MS is rich and large, it makes sense for 5 dolla a month, if you can't afford that, get a job.

10. MerchantGhost

MerchantGhost Member

haha! Hooray, sarcasm and criticism.

11. namklaw7

namklaw7 Well-Known Member

Indeed, Microsoft's XBOX LIVE service is too awesome to be free.

12. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

Haha! Hooray, Off-topicism! :D

As I said before, Microsoft have such a large monopoly on everything they own/run with Xbox live being a large part of their profits... Just think.. Half 3 has at least 35,000 people playing. Then you have to consider every other game out there with people playing on it live... Give or take Random Variable N, Then multiply that huge number by $5 per month. And what do you get. A Huge Fat Wad of cash...

13. JohnnieBob

JohnnieBob Well-Known Member

so i should stick with my Wii/DSi/PS3 for online gaming/websurfing?
    Damn microsoft... they stole GTA :( although, i heard the expansions will make it to PS3... New topic :p GTA expansions geting made for PS3?
    I should consult wikipedia.org...

14. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

The 360 has the best online component versus every other console. You know how long it takes to download something on Xbox Live versus to how fast you download something on the PSN? Yeah, your five dollars goes towards that. Also the PSN exclusive games don't have demos. All XBL Arcade games have demos.

It'll be on the PS3 eventually.

15. namklaw7

You forgot to mention they also have early demos of big name games like on XBL.

16. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Yeah, but the PS3 has that. Well they don't have Left4Dead 2 but for multi-platform games they have the same demos.

Even if there's exclusivity, it either lasts a week (which is how long silver members have to wait anyways) or the PS3 demo will come out later with extras (Lost Planet 2).

Even Microsoft exclusives don't have demos, so that point is moooooooooooooooooooooooot.

17. namklaw7

I'm not one for debates really. Well the question was
    "is XBL going to be free" and the answer is "not for the foreseeable future". Silver accounts are free but lack most of the features you get with a gold account.

18. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

A silver account lacks the necessity of playing online, with the exception of the game for Windows games (Lost Planet: Extreme Condition and Shadowrun, I don't think Shadowrun's servers are still up though). You can play Lost Planet totally free, and it's multiplayer is still active and still fun.

But that's it.

If you want a great online console experience, choke up 5 dollars a month. It's worth it.

19. cuccio123

cuccio123 Well-Known Member

Hold on.
    Xbox360 or Xbox original?
    Cause I can see the Xbox O being free.
    No one uses, except for the Halo-Heads.

20. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Not even Xbox Live on the original Xbox will be free. If you didn't know Xbox Live on both Xboxes are intertwined. Meaning your account goes from the Xbox to the 360 or vice versa.