1. This forum is in read-only mode.

how is microsoft trying to beat sony by having better graphics...?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by ultra, Aug 20, 2007.

1. ultra

ultra Guest

i was reading some article somewhere and someone wrote something about xbox is trying to beat ps by having better graphics. i always thought it was the other way around [sony trying to beat microsoft by having super powerful graphics].

what are your thoughts on this??

2. dooz

dooz Member

go wii ;D

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Microsoft trying to beat everyone by making a ridiculously overpowered machine.

4. ultra

ultra Guest

couldn't that be said about the ps3??

5. Loonylion

hardly, it is nowhere near the 360 in terms of processing power

6. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

The 360 isn't much more powerful than the PS3, if it is at all. It's hard to compare them on numbers though as neither uses standard technology. For instance the 360 has mixed together the pixel and vertex pipelines giving it the impressive amount of 48 pipelines. But no one really knows how to compare it to dedicated pixel and dedicated vertex pipelines. Sony did leave that number out on the specification sheet though, but estimates say it's around 24 dedicated pixel and 6 dedicated vertex pipelines.

So be careful with comparing the two machines, you're most likely going to end up comparing apples to pears.

7. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

sincerely i've played both consoles and the ps3 is MUCH better. why? i've got a small book that speaks only about ps3 and i think those numbers are very high, i don't think xbox 360 is graphically better than the ps3. same thing for the sound. plus the ps3 controller's six axis function is only surpassed by the wii.

8. Loonylion

the 360 has 6 processor cores, which is way more than a high-end PC, so far too high for a console.

9. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

Mwah, the high-end pc's of these days already have four cores. Ofcourse, when you look at the price, the 360 is very nicely priced for what it can perform.

And the way that microsoft is beating sony is because of their XNA toolkit. They are combining already existing programming languages into a more developer-friendly environment.

10. Loonylion

give me a decent PC any day.

11. Loonylion

meh, nearly the same as mine, but with less HDD :p

12. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

once i saw an amazing one

10gb ram
    1tb sata hdd
    a nvidia with 512mb
    four cores

13. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Well-Known Member

Give me a Wii any day.

14. Loonylion

mine has 1.2TB HDD :p and apparently is capable of 16GB RAM

15. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!

i mean, it's OK... :)

16. MusicAddict911

0_O

17. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

My dad has a Sun Ultra workstation at his work running 32GB ram and 1TB storage. It also has 4 quad-core 2 quad-core processors :D :D I'm not sure what he uses it for though :p

EDIT
    All the 4s confused me :p It only has 2 quad cores.

18. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

i heard a documentary about meteorology and they said the SECOND best computer in the world has about 128gb ram and 10tb hard drive. :eek:

i would like to have one like that. :p

19. MusicAddict911

128GB of RAM? Maybe Vista would run great then. ::)

20. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

Vista runs great on my machine at the moment. I have a Core 2 Duo 1.88GHz and 2 x 1GB RAM @ 667MHz. Don't think you need quite 128GB :p Most people who complain Vista is too slow have computers too old to run it well - but it is true M$ said it could run with a lot less than it actually can.