1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How do we prove that we exist?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by 1Blacks1, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1Blacks1

1Blacks1 Well-Known Member

I would love to say that if i can see you then you exist but i don't believe it. maybe we don't exist?

2. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

Re: [Blacks] How do we prove that we exist? [Blacks]

I can say beyond any doubt....we exist...

The real question is....what are we ?
    Are we flesh and blood created by some higher being ?
    Figments of someones imagination....?
    A collection of vertices and edges ?

3. 1Blacks1

no way. i didn't even think about it that way. this rise many thoughts and questions to me

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

1Blacks1: there is no need to put '[blacks]' around your topic titles, in fact some people find it annoying.

5. jinja

jinja Well-Known Member

pinch yourself...does it feel like flesh and blood? then you are a physical being, not someones imagination or collections of edges...gdi if i had a dollar for everytime some idiot had an identity crisis or existential crisis...there is no way you can be tricked into believing that you dont exist! end of story

6. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

I used to think were were just like germs on a marble, under a bed, it's weird, I can't really think of anything for this

7. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

According to Descartes' ‘cognito ergo sum’ (‘I think therefore I am’), we exist simply by thinking. The act of thinking is sufficient enough proof of brain processes occuring; therefore we exist. As iamlegend said, figuring out WHAT we exist AS is an almost impossible feat. We have no way of knowing for sure that our reality is the real one; i.e. we could be brains in a vat, virtual characters from a simulation, the possibilities are endless.

8. garbanzo

garbanzo Member

i am a solipsist with multiple personalities. it's very confusing.

9. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

hey man, what's a Solipsist?

10. garbanzo

garbanzo Member

wow, you're lazy.

Solipsism (Latin: solus, alone + ipse, self) is the philosophical idea that "My mind is the only thing that I know exists." Solipsism is an epistemological or metaphysical position that knowledge of anything outside the mind is unjustified. The external world and other minds cannot be known and might not exist. In the history of philosophy, solipsism has served as a skeptical hypothesis.

11. jinja

jinja Well-Known Member

ok, while there is no way to prove that you exist as a specific thing there is a simple and easy way to prove that you exist as...well if your crazy enough to not believe it...a flesh and blood being. im guessing bloodvayne isnt stupid because he quoted descartes (however even stupid people have quoting power these days) so im guessing when you read the first chapter of "consciousness explained" you should be able to safely "assume" (sarcasm) that you are a flesh and blood being. in fact dying should serve as definitive proof if nothing else, we dont magically disappear in puffs of smoke. we die and become worm food. as for being a solipsist...anybody gullable enough to support that theory past its intended purpose (its intended purpose being a hypotherical, skeptical hypothesis)...well lets just leave it there...

12. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

there is an easy way to anser your question....

you just need to find someone, and punch them in thier faces and see how they react...you will get your answer.

13. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

Noted.
    Although I agree with Descartes on "I think therefore I am", I'm still fuzzy on how that explains inanimate objects exist. Do they exist because we think they exist? I am inclined to believe the scientific explanation, in that if an object can impose a force on another object, it definitely exists. Can someone clarify/ shed some light on this? [still a newb in this matter]

14. jinja

jinja Well-Known Member

bloodvayne have you ever read Hume's explanation of the substantiation of the existence of the external world? its quite illuminating. in fact its the one theory i like the most because it seems to fit the best. oh and isnt that just newtons laws of physics...

15. 1Blacks1

None of your answers prove to me that we exist. it just proves that we have Feelings such as Pain, Emotions, Senses Etc. that's all it shows me

16. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

This debate cannot be resolved without first agreeing on a definition of 'exist'

17. Tboi

Tboi Well-Known Member

I think that is part of the discussion.

18. sesa

sesa Well-Known Member

We don't exist...well now do you feel any better.
    No
    Then why do you want to know?
    know that you are here and can't leave this plain w/o dieing
    If your willing to "die" on this plane you will find out if you exist or not(I assume we don't if there is nothingness after death)
    but if you are not willing to die to find out just live this life and take it as reality.

19. ultra

ultra Guest

your a materialists! btw, why do we need to sleep!?

20. jinja

jinja Well-Known Member

dude being able to prove we have senses proves the existence of an external world...do you not see that?because we use our senses to experience the external world. and proving that we have experiences where we show emotions proves our own existence...we exist, we couldnt be someones dream, or random quantum particles bouncing off walls, nor are we random puffs of smoke. look at history, and the people that have died and left us. they existed and experienced and external world and their dead bodies are proof of their former existence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.