1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Help on buying a new laptop

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by fabvini, Nov 22, 2014.

1. fabvini

fabvini Well-Known Member

Hello,

I wish to buy a new laptop, but am having difficulties searching for the ideal one on the web.
    I desire a laptop mainly for university (Journalism, mainly writing), but which can also play videogames. Not any high demand graphical games, mainly visual novels (Wolf Among Us, Kentucky Route Zero) and perhaps Civ V. I don't mind playing on low-mid graphical settings.

If anyone could help me out by recommending any models, I'll be very glad. I don't have a specific budget, but don't want to spend a lot of cash on those Alienware 17 etc.

Thanks

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Laptops are a bit of a lottery unfortunately, as the extremely compact shells mean they can often struggle to dissipate the heat produced by the internal components, and there is great variation in how well this is achieved, even between different models from the same manufacturer, and it's also a point that's usually missed in reviews. Ideally you want to keep the processor power down (say an i3 or an i5, not an i7) and you don't want an insanely powerful graphics chip (although you don't want intel integrated either).

Your best bet is probably to talk to people who actually own the specific models you're considering.

3. fabvini

fabvini Well-Known Member

@Loony,

Thanks for your reply. The problem is that my friends only have the top notch gaming laptops. Couldn't you recommend a specified model please?

Regarding the heat, I usually play for 1-2h max so that won't be much of an issue.

4. Loonylion

no, I can't. The last time I got a laptop was in 2005.

It doesn't take anywhere near an hour for heat to reach dangerous levels in a laptop.

5. OverCire

OverCire New Member

I recommend buying one with the best graphics card GTX 770M, for instance, with the lamest HDD. Just like everyone used to upgrade ram in laptops today you will want to upgrade the storage to an SSD. Laptops with ssd'd pre-installed are hella overpriced and this way you get a clean build of windows out of the gate. You just need to install it yourself (you will probably have a key from the laptop)

You should be able to get something that fits those needs for $1500 all in this friday/monday.

Good luck

6. Loonylion

I disagree. A top end graphics card will produce tons of heat not to mention drive the price up. decent SSDs can also be hellishly expensive.