1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Help in installing OS

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by Zhuo_Xing, May 12, 2014.

1. Zhuo_Xing

Zhuo_Xing Well-Known Member

Hi,does someone knows how to install a Windows 7,64-bit over an activated Windows XP,32-bit?I reformatted my computer,and I only have Windows XP product key,which I manage to activate my Windows XP with it...Now currently am using Windows 7,not activated,have only 30 days...Thanks...

2. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

You're gonna have to buy a product key for windows 7. XP keys are not compatible.

3. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

Which bit system do you have ? 32/64 ? And the os for your system will depend on this . If you have a 32 bit system then you should install a 32 bit os , same goes for 64 bit system too. Anyway to install a windows 7 over xp , all you have to do is to put the windows7 disc into the drive and restart your system and press the function key displayed on the screen to boot from the disc and follow the steps on the screen . And you cant use the key for xp to activate windows7 .
    To activate windows7 either buy a new licence or search for some tutorials in youtube or download any activators from the internet .
    Btw you posted this post in the wrong section it should have been in the technical help section.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

You cannot upgrade from XP to 7, you MUST completely wipe your PC and start again with a blank harddisk. As Devon said, you need to buy a full version of Windows 7 and use the key that comes with it, you cannot use an XP key. (note it must be a full version of Windows 7, not an upgrade version).

5. Zhuo_Xing

OK thanks...It's a wonder how did the technician who assembled this DIY computer of mine managed to install and activated my Windows 7 with Windows XP and a used Windows 7 product key,since I thought that upgrading from XP to 7 with an activated XP is possible...Does anyone knows something?

6. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

No, you can't upgrade to 7 with an activated XP key.

7. Loonylion

only vista can be upgraded to 7, and you still need a separate windows 7 key. The difference with vista is you can use an upgrade edition of 7 which is cheaper than the full version.

8. Zhuo_Xing

Eh?So if i were to get a new Windows Vista and installed it,before upgrading to Windows 7,I still need a Windows 7 Product Key?Thanks then,I was about to ask what about upgrading from Vista without the need of Windows 7 product key,unless I can just use any Windows 7 product key,including used keys...

9. Loonylion

That is correct, keys are unique to the version of Windows they are issued with. The key comes with the install media if you buy it legally.

Speaking from experience, I would not recommend upgrading to vista then to 7. I find that upgrades tend to store up problems which manifest later down the line, and the best way to avoid them is to format the hard disk and install the new OS from scratch.

You cannot. Keys are specific to the version (not only the version number, but also the 'bitness' (x86/x64), edition (starter,home basic,home premium, professional, ultimate), issue type (OEM, retail, MSDN, VLK) and even preinstalled service pack level). Using a used key is illegal unless the copy the key came with is no longer in use (VLK excepted, but it's very unlikely you'd have legitimate access to a VLK version of Windows). Microsoft can and do detect and disable copies that have been installed with used keys.

If you're looking at buying Windows 7, the best version to get is Professional (x64 if your computer supports it, otherwise x86) and the OEM version is usually cheaper than retail.

10. Zhuo_Xing

Thanks...Is it true that Windows 8.1 will be another failure product,like Windows Vista?I am considering to buy either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1,and I do see some websites saying that Windows 8 will be a failure...

11. Loonylion

put it this way, Windows 9 was going to be based on Windows 8, and Microsoft decided to abandon all their plans for Windows 9 and go back to the drawing board. I would not recommend buying Windows 8.

12. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

although i still use windows7 the one thing i like about windows8 is its boot and shutdown time which is just seconds !!

13. Loonylion

so is my windows 7 boot time

14. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

Yup same here, I've been using windows 7 for 3 years now, over the years I've learnt so much about it that I've tweaked the OS completely to my needs.

You just have to disable a few unwanted services, Un install/Remove unwanted software's and Disable their startup at boot time, Clean the ram once in a while, Restart every day once, Defragment the drives and keep OS up-to-date with only recommended updates etc. and Your windows 7 will also be just as fast.

15. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Cool story, I didn't do any of that shit and my computer is at the desktop before I even sit down at my chair.

16. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

Did you just newly install the OS? In most cases the OS gets slower over the years when the user installs a lot of software's.

17. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Nope.

18. Zhuo_Xing

Wow then does this mean it's better for me to get a new Windows 7 instead?I decided to get a Windows 8.1 is because Microsoft will end it's support for Windows 7 in 2020,which is quite near,while Windows 8.1 is 2023...

19. Loonylion

2020 is 6 years away. there'll be at least another 3 versions of Windows released before then.

20. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

If i were in your situation, and even if MS stops its support for win 7 in the next 5 years, i would still get win 7.