1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Hash values?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MobiusONE, Nov 1, 2015.

1. MobiusONE

MobiusONE New Member

I want to suggest adding hash sums to every ROM download page, or at least for the larger games.
    It can be useful to verify our downloads.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

if the file extracts it's good, if it doesn't it's corrupt.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Hash or even CRC values are important when it comes to patching ROMs/ISOs with translations or other mods that needs a specific version of a ROM/ISO though.

I have encountered this situation myself when dealing with Fan translations to some retro system titles, mostly Japanese NES and SNES titles. The most common scenario is I have downloaded a verified "proper" dump (verified using either nsrt or GoodNES) of an NES or SNES ROM required for a translation from both here on RomU as well as on some of our rivals and yet the patch process would fail simply because the verified good dump is actually not the one the patch author has used to create his/her translation.

In these instances I am glad to know that the specific versions these authors uses can be found in emu"Russia"...

Darn, where's that even smaller font size we used to have? I tried hiding the first part of the site's name using the currently available font size and it's still readable. I didn't want to fully advertise the site which was why I wanted to micronize the font. Anyway, that place does host more recent and proper dumps of ROMs for retro systems and as I said important for someone like myself who is into English Fan Translations for Japanese retro titles.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

that would be a crc32 of the file within the archive, not an md5/sha1 of the archive itself., which is what the OP seems to be asking for.

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Oh, my mistake I guess *facepalm*

6. MobiusONE

MobiusONE New Member

Haha, forgot the roms were archived, I feel stupid now.