1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Girl-friendly PS3 games - a minimum of blood, gore, guts (do they exist?)

Discussion in 'Sony' started by tuna+egg, May 8, 2012.

1. tuna+egg

tuna+egg Member

I'm planning to buy a PS3 later this year and was thinking of the games I should get with the system.

The thing is, I prefer mostly platformers, puzzlers, rpgs, and action-adventure games with a minimum of gore and bullets.

My favorite games are:
    Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
    Intelligent Qube (PS1)
    Rune Factory (DS)
    New Super Mario Bros (DS)
    Tomb Raider (PS2)
    Legend of Zelda (DS)
    Soul Bubbles (DS)
    Pokemon (DS)
    Puzzle Quest (multi)
    Tales of the Abyss (PS2)
    Ridge Racer (multi)

Game-library wise, I should probably get a Wii but I can no longer stand the SD graphics. I want high definition for console gaming. Plus, with a PS3 I could use the blu-ray drive for movies.

What do you guys recommend? :)

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

well final fantasy XIII and XIII-2 are RPGs, there's also hyperdimension neptunia, sonic generations (haven't played the last two yet).

3. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

Disgaea 3 and 4 are both for the PS3, and quite fun.

They're tactical RPGs similar to the Final Fantasy Tactics series, except Disgaea has crazier characters, very different battle mechanics and better writing, but it's less polished.

Also, Little Big Planet 2!

I think the title of this thread is silly.

4. tuna+egg

tuna+egg Member

Well I think it is too XD Thing is, I was looking at some of the "Top PS3 Games" List on a gaming site (IGN maybe) and 90% of the stuff there were FPS. Or titles like God of War and GTA. And it may be a stereotype but most of the girls I know would choose Mario over Grand Theft Auto (including myself).

Thanks for your recs though. Noted :)

5. Loonylion

another thing to bear in mind is that ALL PS3s can play PS1 games, so if you have any of those you can still play them, and if not quite a few are available for download from the PSN store.

6. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Huh, even the most recent ones??

ot: Bejeweled 3 is nice. I bought it for 3 euros in the psn store. And to be honest, most ps3 games contain violence. I would recommend Heavy Rain. The story miiiight shock you at times but I think there's only one scene with gore where you have to cut off your finger.

7. Loonylion

Yes, its just PS2 compatibility that was removed.

8. alexong96

alexong96 Well-Known Member

That's the only scene with gore? How about the fight scenes? There ARE fight scenes, are there? QTEs? Oh, and to the OP: Heavy Rain is like an interactive movie. It's about the protagonist's son being kidnapped by a serial killer and you have to go to the killers "trials" to save his life. And if your characters die, they die permanently. So be careful, else you won't be able to save the protagonist's son.

I'd also recommend the Uncharted series. There's no gore. But there's definitely a lot of bullets. :p
    It's made by the developers of the first Crash Bandicoot trilogy, though. So it's pretty great. Expect a lot of platforming. And some Tomb Raider- esque puzzles. Plus, voice-acting and drama are top-notch.

9. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Well to complement Rune Factory (DS), there's Rune Factory Tides of Destiny.

Action/Adventure:
    Heavenly Sword
    Uncharted 1, 2 & 3
    Tomb Raider Trilogy

Hack n' Slash/Beat 'em up
    Dynasty Warriors 7
    Dynasty Warriors Gundam Series (only if you're into mecha)

RPGs:
    Ar Tonelico Qoga Knell of Ar Ciel
    Borderlands (may be too dark, or wastelandy. FPS/RPG)
    Cross Edge
    Disgaea 3 & 4 (Strategy RPG)
    Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2
    Folklore (Action RPG)
    Mass Effect 2 & 3
    Oblivion (may be too bloody)
    Resonance of Fate
    Rune Factory Tides of Destiny
    Skyrim (again, like Oblivion, may be too bloody)
    Tales of Graces f
    Trinity Universe
    Valkyria Chronicles

I have every single one of these and I wouldn't recommend a game if it didn't quite fit the bill (I'm still recommending really good RPGs regardless if they fit or not, because they're that good).
    I'm not really a fan of NIS games, but those, as far as mood is concerned, meet your tastes a little better than say, Borderlands, Dragon Age, Fallout or Skyrim.

10. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

Yep, girls are far too dainty and frail to enjoy those games because OMG BLOOD IS GROSS AND ICKY.

No such thing as girl friendly games, quit being backwards, if a game's good then it's good. Not really up to date with PS3 games so I'd wait till Nat posts because this thread is just a terrible weeaboo love fest at the moment.
    Also, buy the orange box and portal 2.

11. insanecrazy07

Note that I still recommended them because they're good games, regardless of the blood and gore.

12. darkrequiem

Her generalizing title is bad, but her post is self-explanatory and mildly clear in what she prefers.

Even though she said "rpgs", I'm almost certain she meant JRPGs (you know, the whole gore thing)

13. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

Woops, missed the minimum amount of gore and bullets bit of the OP. Still wouldn't say that TES series has gore just because there's a tiny amount of blood when you kill something. But why is she ok with killing stuff, including the mass genocide of goombas on Mario's part, but not with gore?

14. insanecrazy07

Good JRPGs are hard to find these days...

Well, the only way I'll play Dragon Age is if you take off the blood effect that's just lathered all over your character. I just find that much blood unnecessary.

15. Reider

Reider Modereider

You can turn that off in the options menu. Just uncheck the "Persistent Gore" one and you're good.

16. insanecrazy07

That's the first thing I did when I played the game.

17. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

No, there are no simulators for making sandwiches.

18. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Little Big Planet will do you good.
    Rayman Origins is pretty great, the later levels are hard but it does a good job showing you how the game works and functions and if you have someone to play with it's definitely quite fun and silly, quick respawns from death alleviate a lot of frustration.
    Journey, very simple to play and very fun, Flower does the same thing.
    Any Pixel Junk game, Monsters is great and so is Shooter 1 and 2.

Portal 2 co-op if you want to get familiar with dual stick controls, if my assumption is right, this is where you might be having trouble with it.

I know that these games are more casual but they're great for ANYONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. I'd find these games easy to play even when I first started. But I'm probably over estimating your gaming experience.

Also, what the fuck? Seriously? Someone recommended Disgaea? And Folklore? And Resonance of Fate? Really? Holy christ people. I would say the same thing about Skyrim and Oblivion but I'd rather not get into a rant about how much they suck and how I make fun of anyone who enjoys and buys into it.

Gore is overwhelming to some, I don't like gore so I'd like to avoid it for the most part. Also I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuuge pussy.

19. darkrequiem

Stop dislieking stuffs i liek

20. insanecrazy07

Sorry that I don't have anything in my gaming list that's overly bubbly like Final Fantasy X-2.
    I recommended those because they lacked blood and gore and by that definition, they are "girl friendly" (According to the subject title). They may not necessarily appeal to girls, because these games aren't designed around that demographic. But, they're blood and gore free, and that's what I was basing my list off of.