1. This forum is in read-only mode.

GBA Emulator for NDS - gbaemu4DS Git (2012/12/03)

Discussion in 'General News' started by Jhon 591, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

gbaemu4DS Git (2012/12/03)

http://www.emucr.com/2012/12/gbaemu4ds-git-20121203.html

Not tested myself, but will some as get my DS back :)

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

No need to try Jhon, that's ichifly's emulator if you noticed.
    Here's his test report for various roms: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Gbaemu4ds_Compatibility_List

3. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Oh come on.
    All these GBA emulators are absolute crap. Half the ROMs don't work, and if they do, you can't save all they freeze every 3 minutes.

The only 'proper' emulator is the DSTwo one.

4. Prectorian

Yup. The slot 1 + any flash cart (except DSTWO), will be crappy running that emulator. The technical spec isn't up to it.

5. DeGladiator

DeGladiator Well-Known Member

That emulator plays Pokémon Fire Red With Sound at the normal speed of the GBA so Xenirina it is a good emulator
    Post Merge: [time]1355055862[/time]
    Do you want to see the compatibilty list?

6. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Great for you then (sarcasm).
    And no, I don't want to see the compatibility list.

7. DeGladiator

It runs games at the same speed of a vba and it supports saving so what else you want?

8. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

That's one ROM.
    Try the 2810 releases and then tell me how many work properly.

9. DeGladiator

it only desined to support commercial roms

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Which means ALL ROMs... except maybe ROM Hacked and/or homebrew ones... albeit ROM Hacks are essentially a copy of commercial ROMs with data changed.

11. Prectorian

Ichifly didn't designed the emulator for COMMERCIAL ROMS (as in ALL OFFICIAL ROMS) in mind. He made it because he wanted to enter the GBATemp Homebrew Bounty Competition and to show some proof that emulating GBA Homebrew roms on the NDS console is possible. Only after that part was proven, did he venture into trying to get OFFICIAL ROMS to run, which he did managed but only on some. Those that work, ranged from 100% working to those suffering from flaw (no sound, glitch, can't save, etc.). It's not possible to fully play GBA games on the said emulator since the problem lies in the fact the NDS console's technical spec has it's limitation for it to run well. By the way, he won 5th place in the competition.

12. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

The dev still did a great job.
    Many people said it was impossible.
    I'd love to see you try making one.

13. Prectorian

Yes he did indeed. He successfully proved that emulating GBA files via NDS slot 1 is possible though it has limitation due to the host hardware.

14. asdfth12

asdfth12 Well-Known Member

NDS emulation started out the same way, poor compatability and poor speed.

I guess it's a good thing the people behind the first ds emulators didn't give up and just say 'The only 'proper' way is a real DS'

It's beliefs like yours that limit technological advancement. Seriously, if everone followed your belief, in that if it doesn't work perfectly with minimal work then it isn't worth advancing any more, we'd still be in the dark ages.

15. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Similarly if people didn't know when to stop pursuing an exercise in futility we wouldn't advance either.

16. asdfth12

asdfth12 Well-Known Member

It's not a exercise in futility if you make progress.

Edit

Here's the thing though. Almost everyone said that emulating the GBA on the DS would be impossible. They were all proven wrong. Now they have changed that tune, to saying that this is as far as it will get. They were proven wrong once, and they will be proven wrong again.

The only reason why this hadn't come sooner, is because everyone believed that its impossible, and therefor not worth trying.

It doesn't matter if a endeavor will end in success in failure. What matters is if you actually try to accomplish something, instead of taking the easy way out by saying "It's impossible, and not worth my time trying."

17. doommaker

doommaker Guest

I used a super card...(forget the specific type it was..)and a ds lite and it worked perfectly.
    I remember finishing zelda 4 swords with a friend who had only one copy of the game..
    I believe you could use save states as well >.>
    The weirdest thing was it didn't need an emulator to run the GBA games it would run it straight of the card.

Good times....

P.S The cards are not for sale any more and this was like 3 years ago

18. Prectorian

Kind out of context.
    We're discussing about an emulator program(similar to LazyBoy or SNEmulDS) use via slot 1 flash carts such as an R4 or Acekard.
    While you are referring to a slot 2 flash cart such as Supercard SD (Micro SD) or Supercard SD Lite.
    It's not weird, on the NDS/NDSL the slot 2 is for playing GBA carts; Slot 1 is for playing DS carts.

19. DeGladiator

alpha 2 fix 4 has been released

Changelog

UI impr.
    minor irq impr.
    patch support
    closed DS irq now halts the gba game
    This update provides behind-the-scenes fixes that will improve the overall system performance (compatibility impr.)

Compatibilty:

Pokémon Ruby (U) Finally works
    Saving in Fire Red and Leaf Green (U) is now possible
    Pokémon Hacks still give the Unistructable Ram Construction Error (On light platinum it freezes)
    The legend of zelda the minisch cap sound is less corrupted + the patch function works for it which increases graphical compatibilty
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Red Rescue Team: Sprites Problem is still not fixed

Sonic Advance Series : lag a bit and are slow in some parts (5fps in some levels 36 fps in others it's unstable.)