1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Earth Hour 2008

Discussion in 'General News' started by kamage, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

March 29, 2008 at 8pm Local Time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qczUcQ-VjM

www.EarthHour.org

The world has felt the affects of climate change. We've seen it across the country. Climate change is having a devastating impact, but what can one person do about climate change?

On March 31, 2007 the people of one city, in partnership with the world's wildlife fund, decided to take a stand. Sydney, Australia, 2.2 million people turned off their lights, and saved energy equal to the amount of 48,000 cars being taken off the road.

On March 29, 2008, 8:00 local time, Join the movement against climate change, and turn off your lights for one hour.

We always think the present, but we never think the past, turn of your lights, and help the future, so RomUlation, I challenge you, to turn off your lights, and anything that gives off lights, for one hour, and save the world, a step at a time.

You guys know I'm being serious right? and this has been started last year by Sydney, and now it's going international, but unfortunately, barely anyone is going to participate, especially in the Philippines, The president won't even turn off her lights, so please, contribute to this facto, and turn your lights on, or lessen climate change, and close your lights, one hour can shave money off of your electricity bill...

The point of this day is to turn off your electric applications for only one hour, 8:00 PM-9:00 PM, local time.

Oh and also, Try and get AS MUCH PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE TO FREAKING TURN OFF THEIR LIGHTS, That is all. ;D

Earth Hour, 2008, I'm joining, are you?

Save some money, and save the world, it doesn't matter if your parents don't listen, just do it in a small place, it will help.

March 29, 2008 at 8pm Local Time

Oh yeah, if you don't tell other people about this....You will Die.

Just kidding, it just shows you have no heart of the world, we are people of tomorrow, but we never think tomorrow, only today, but tommorrow for you is today tomorrow, Get it?

and they Dying part, That's jsut to get you guys to pass it around, or "Iisip muna"

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you say 8PM, local time, without stating where the time is local to. It would be far better to use a defined time such as GMT, UTC or whatever.

3. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Honestly? For one hour? How about wen you leave a room you turn the light off, when you don't watch the TV, turn it off.

This shouldn't be something you do for one hour a year, it should be common sense and done all the time. Not only for the environment but also because it's waste of your own money.

4. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

Turning on a light bulb actually uses about as much electricity as having it running for 20 minutes...
    So if you're going to be back in the room in a few minutes, there's no point....

5. Loonylion

depends on the type of bulb. Fluorescents consume more energy when starting than when running. My bedroom has something called a 'biobulb', which is an energy saving bulb that closely replicates summer daylight.

6. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

We have those power saving bulbs throughout our entire house, mostly because it's cheaper in the long term though. :p

7. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

I try to turn off the lights in rooms I'm not using... Seriously though, the buck needn't stop here. This should become a routine thing for all of us, and not just "1 hour".

8. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

yeah, but it's gonna have an effect if a mass amount of people do it, it's required in ALOT of cities, like San Francisco, and when I say local time, I mean it's on your watch, your time zone, or different times around the world, but all at 8-9....

9. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

Psst, you turning of the lights just one hour is not going to change anything? Why? Because that's not how the power supply system works. It's not like a power plant shuts down for those 60 minutes.

What happens when power consumption goes down and power production is not matched properly, is that the frequency of the AC signal goes up (or down, can't remember). If this deviation from the 50-60HZ becomes too large (5% or so), switches are flipped and you really have darkness. But then it's not just the lights, it's everything. And it's more than an hour, it's probably 2-3 days.

Spread your usage, don't leave lights on, don't use excessive water, don't heat or cool when not neccesary, don't use airconditioners, use 40W lights instead of 100W, etc. etc. That will make the difference for you.

10. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

yeah but the whole point is to speak out, we know it's not gonna do alot, compared to all the power usage, but its a way to speak out, and that is the only purpose.

Everyone against this doesn't know it's a rally, because alot of people obviously "Don't Understand" the concept of these things. the real concepts, not the goal, because alot of times, they can differ.

oh and, It ended for me yesterday.. they shut down Manila if I believe so, but I don't believe that..

11. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

kamage did you turn off your lights cause me i dont know i sleep early

12. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

you do know server have lights.....please tell me you do know that.....

13. Loonylion

yes, a single LED that could run off an AA battery for at least 6 months...

14. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

According to some site, you turn off your lights in your local time zone's 8:00 PM. So Earth Hour is 24 hours long! I passed my Earth Hour watching Home Alone in the darkness. But I don't think I would save much energy by keeping a 60+ inch DLP television on. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.