1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Does Satan Exist?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by dancubs, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dancubs

dancubs Well-Known Member

Title says it all. Pick a side. Justify.

Exists. Does not exist.

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Part of the religion control scheme, you can't tell people to do something without giving a consequence for not doing so...I'd explain indepth but basically religion from what I gathered is like law (and still is to some nations).

3. evilseifer

evilseifer Member

Of course he does.. he is my daddy:)

4. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

Christianity's Satan? Or just a being that is trying to make mankind do bad things? Also you're supposed to provide an opening argument as per the rules for this section.

5. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

If your refering to my post...I dunno really..I'm catholic :p

Satan would have been imagined during religious times, that's my point, like whipping cattle.

6. gaynorvader

I was referring to the OP actually, your post seemed to be the second of the two i mentioned.

7. Nerch

Nerch Well-Known Member

I don't believe in the existence of a God, so I don't believe in the existence of something like Satan either.

8. gaynorvader

What do you mean:
    "I don't actively believe in a god, but there could be one."
    "I don't care if there's a god or not."
    "I believe that there is no god."
    or something else entirely?

9. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

inb4lock

Now that I've called it, allow me to list the debate board rules this thread breaks:
    - Think before you post. If your topic is a genuine debate which requires a great deal of information and thought then it probably belongs here. <- Great deal of information and thought where?
    - Try not to post anything too controversial that is likely to seriously offend anyone. However as we know there are two sides to every debate which gives people a chance to argue their point so this rule is a little looser than the others. <- This "debate" is a very thinly veiled questioning of religion, so it's reasonable to expect someone to be offended.
    - If your starting post is less than 100 words then don't bother making a debate. A debate requires a starting argument not just a "x vs y. Discuss". Do a well thought-out post that people can respond to instead of putting the effort of actually making it a debate on everyone else. <- Self-explanatory.
    - Debates are mostly based on well sourced information, however personal opinion will always work its way in, its almost impossible to remove the bias from most debates. For this reason it is important to debate against a persons information first and then address the opinion. Do not attack the person directly, debates are not flame wars. <- Well-sourced information? Hah, good luck with that. Better luck debating against this information rather than someone's individual beliefs.
    - Research your topic well before posting so that you have information and fact to back up your argument, without this your opinion is just that, an opinion. <- "Fact" here refers to objective fact rather than something someone believes to be fact. As far as I'm concerned, believing Satan does not exist is just as subjective a "fact" as believing he does.

10. AnimeboyX3

AnimeboyX3 Well-Known Member

Gee are Religious topics even allowed?

Anyway I believe in God therefor I believe in Satan too

INB4Lock

11. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

inb4sticky

yes the devil exists. her name is Liz Hurley, and I would.

12. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

It's likely that someone is offended by any subject of debate. Religion being a particularly touchy subject for some doesn't mean that other people shouldn't be able to discuss it.
    As much as it pains me, i agree with tehuber1337's other points though.
    Inb4locks are annoying and that one was invalid.
    The best that anyone can hope from a debate such as this is some crazy person defending religion whilst atheists and trolls epicly mock them for teh lulz.

13. Anne789

Anne789 Well-Known Member

He doesn't exist. Saying he exists would imply that god exists. I believe both don't exist.

14. lampslammer

lampslammer Well-Known Member

The idea of satan still exists? come on guys your smarter than that. The existence of satan suggests the existence of a god. and what could oppose god's will? nothing. the idea of Satan doesn't make sense to begin with.

15. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

Still exists?
    Satan never existed, neither did the Christian god or any other god or super natural deity.

16. Nerch

Nerch Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking about. Totally agree.

17. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

From what I was brought up to belive in my more religious times, he'd just be waiting in hell to torture the damned.

Likes Hades in great mythology, not evil, just doing a job, not actually being evil or trying to...well that's my take, I was really brought up to think he was evil and trying to claim eveyrone's soul :p

18. dancubs

The reason I put this topic up was cause of this.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=7170007&page=1

Alright, now, I just wanted to hear what this community had to say. The ones debating in the article are experts and are sided to organizations and what not. I want the opinion of RomU.

19. gaynorvader

So, assuming that what; the Bible is true? What are the constraints on this debate?

20. dancubs

Personal Experience. If you know it, believe it, and experience it, then it goes within the bounds what you can justify.

Religion included, as long as you can apply the said religious principle to others i.e. Murder is a sin. That's a universal truth that even religion preaches. Those kinds of things may also be in bounds of whatever you can throw at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.