1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Crash Bandicoot

Discussion in 'Game Help' started by Swejocke, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Swejocke

Swejocke Member

Hi all. Yesterday I downloaded Crash Bandicoot 2 - Cortex Strikes Back. And its an .exe file. But how do I open it? My computer wont open it. It says something like 16-bit msdos etc etc. So how can I "open" and play it? Please help I really wanna play this game :)

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

It is a dos-based self-extracting archive. What is the exact error message?

3. Swejocke

Swejocke Member

Its in swedish but Ill try to translate.

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\MINADO~1\DOWNLO~1\Programs\CRASHB~1.EXE NTVDM CPU discovered an non-allowed instruction.
    CS:072d IP:0158 OP:63 65 69 76 65 Choose close to exit the program. Close - Ignore

Swedish - C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\MINADO~1\DOWNLO~1\Programs\CRASHB~1.EXE NTVDM CPU Upptäckte en otillåten instruktion. CS:072d IP:0158 OP:63 65 69 76 65 Välj Stäng för att avsluta programmet. Stäng - Ignorera

I tried my best to translate it.

4. Loonylion

damn, sounds like D.E.P :(

right-click on 'my computer', go to properties, then the Data Execution Prevention tab, and make sure its set to 'only windows services' or similar.

5. Swejocke

Swejocke Member

Okej I really didnt understand that. Could you maybe take a screen so I can see where to click and that. My computer language is swedish.

6. Loonylion

Not very easily; DEP comes with windows XP SP2, and I have windows 2003 SP1. I'll ask seph

Just to clarify, its under system properties -> advanced tab -> performance button -> data execution prevention tab.

Make sure it is set to 'turn on for essential windows programs and services only'

7. Swejocke

Swejocke Member

Okey I found that perfomance thingy but I didnt fin that "data execution prevention tab" on there :( Its swedish and I dont really know what it means.

8. Loonylion

its the 3rd tab along. I found DEP on my system, but it turns out I entirely disabled it. You want the top option selected.

9. Swejocke

Swejocke Member

Yeah I found that one now. But my list is empty and if I select the one thats below the name of it is Explorer (in swedish - Utforskaren)
    So what do I do from there? :S

10. Loonylion

the list is meant to be empty, it only applies if the second option is selected. Make sure the option immediately below the description text is the one that is selected.

11. Swejocke

Swejocke Member

Well its the first option I have had all of the time :S

12. Loonylion

ok, so it wasnt that then. Let me think on this one

I have discussed this with Seph, and we believe it is a corrupt download. I have refunded your points, so please can you delete the file you downloaded and download it again. I found your comment on the game; you were lucky I did because we don't monitor comments. The reason it used so many points was because you used a download accelerator that made multiple connections. it requested the file 6 times, and our server thought you were downloading the same file six times (in effect, you were), so it charged you 6 times. 6 x 80 = 480, leaving you with 20 points. We suggest you don't allow your download accelerator to make multiple connections in future.

13. Swejocke

Swejocke Member

Or should I repick it and restart the computer and see if anything happens?

14. Prototype

Prototype Well-Known Member

I would go with loony's idea..and stop usng download manaer...it only brings problems....unless your on a dial up then go for it, but if you got a high speed conection then you dont need it mate..........

15. Swejocke

Swejocke Member

Oh I see. Well then I will stop using the accelerator :) Im quite used to using it and its automatic when I download something. Yeah well Im gonna see if anything happens first if I restart the computer. If nothing happens Im gonna redownload it :) Thanks for all the help btw.

[EDIT] Hmm its going slow. When I use the accelerator I download at about 500kb/s and now Im down to 30-40kb/s :eek:

16. Loonylion

yes, that is unfortunate. It should be a bit higher, but we are currently running under a critically high load, and our server is struggling somewhat. We have upgrades for it, but for some reason someone isnt installing them :( we're trying our hardest to kick them into action, but please bear with us.

17. Prototype

Prototype Well-Known Member

whats your performanced speed for your internet?....and how many megs of ram you using...althought that doesnt matter as much, but higher performanced ram also makes a difference.

18. Swejocke

Swejocke Member

Yeah well tho slow speed I can take :) Had slow download speed for years before. At the moment I got 24 mbit. Yeah well I think it was my accelerator that did something with the files cause now they are working ;D

19. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Great. :)
    But the site IS slow, we have purchased the upgrade necessary to make it fast again and they should arrive tonight.

20. Swejocke

Swejocke Member

Is it that you get 50 points each day? I think I saw that somewhere by the Point thingy.
    But still 5 dollars (or what the donation money is) is not much :)