1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Console-icide: former Xbox exec says consoles will die within decade

Discussion in 'Gaming Lounge' started by anandjones, Mar 28, 2008.

1. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Original article here. I think not!

http://ds.qj.net/Console-icide-former-Xbox-exec-says-consoles-will-die-within-decade/pg/49/aid/116922

2. ultra

ultra Guest

there has been talks lately about virtualization of media [movies, music, etc...] but the one thing that bothers me when this subject arises is the affordability of the technology as well as the availability for the general audience.

at the moment, i only have and can afford basic or low cost dsl [768kb] service from verizon which costs me about 23 dollars. for the idea of having media that is virtualization is crazy because it would take hours, days or weeks to obtain the contents of the media. however, for those who have the accommodations to afford higher bandwidth internet connection is at a luxury as they obtain data faster then those who can't.

in addition to affordability, there is also the subject of availability. not everyone will have access to these new technologies. for instance, though fiber optics is available for verizon customers, there are certain areas that it is available to. since only those who can obtain it will get the benefit and those who don't will not and lose out on what that technology can offer.

so on this subject of virtual media i don't believe it will happen soon as some expect it to. unless the current high speed becomes the low cost and the new technology becomes the top performer then it will never happen.

here is another article which examines blu-ray,
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20080225PR201.html

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Other similar statements by Microsoft employees:

'640k ought to be enough for anyone'
    'Windows will never use TCP/IP'
    'Windows Product Activation has still not been cracked'

All these are false, so the title claim probably will be too.