1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Comodo firewall causing problems?

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by Duncan Idaho, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

I recently updated my fire wall on my desktop and after it installed priv dog without my authorization i was forced to reinstall, i updated the fire wall on my laptop and all was ok, no problem happened, now i updated it again at comodo's request Blue screen of death.

Altho i am not 100% sure it's comodo's fault i had installed an emulator called Hugo to help a friend with a job he got for writing emulator tutorials and i am not sure what of the two caused it, i am more inclined to believe it's comodo given the precedent of absolutley *bleep*ing my windows installation.

And yes loony it happened again, i reseted the laptop because WINSTAT somehow kick started and something was causing a CPU spike of 73% on my laptop and see if it would stop the fans going crazy (task manager says that ffox was only using 10% and the other active process dint even add to 15%)

2. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Well, as you an I both know, this is Loony's job.
    We really need a "Request Loonylion" button or something on topics like this... ;)

3. Duncan Idaho

I speak to him quite often via skype and we both got problems with Hugo, running start up repair to see if i can log back in again, on my laptop.

It's either that or the drivers of the intel card because i told it to not run WINDIRSTAT

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

what type of blue screen was it? (either the capitalised string beginning with STOP or the hexdecimal error code). Was a filename mentioned and if so what was it?

5. Duncan Idaho

No idea, i dint even had time of seeing it beyond a string of hexadecimal code because it lasts for half a second before the laptop resets and offers me the start repair option which now sent me to a restore point.

6. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

As I've said before, and I'll say it again. And this will go towards everything technology related, Wii, PC, PS3s, PS4s, software, firmware, etc.

NEVER UPDATE UNLESS YOU HAVE TO.

The new COMODO is shit. Go back to the one you had before.
    Mine BSODed the second I installed it and got it "working."

I'll never understand the need to update everything when it was working just fine. Don't fix what isn't broken.

7. Duncan Idaho

I was running a version that was almost two years old so i was not sure if i was outdated or not.

8. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

And how was it outdated?

Did it scream at you saying that it needed to be updated or else?
    Did it try to extort money from you if you didn't update?
    Did it threaten to delete every file that you had if you didn't?

No.

Then your only reason for updating is the mere fact that you just wanted to update.
    And this is what you got. A non-working piece of crap. The same as I got.

Old is not a good enough reason. Older software works a lot faster than newer software. Especially before the huge CPU/GPU war in the mid-2000s. I can load up Adobe Reader 5.1 (hell, even 7.1) on a newer computer and it loads instantaneously, and doesn't hog a ton of resources. That was a time when 256 MB of RAM was the norm for a system. Now I can't find very many programs, like your browser, Adobe "whatever we're on now" to use less than 256 MB. My God, even Media Player Classic now uses over 2 GB of RAM.

9. Duncan Idaho

So, any one knows an alternative to COMODO? as i am thinking of uninstalling it, if i can.

10. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

AVG?

11. Loonylion

IIRC AVG isnt a free firewall, its free AV, if you want the firewall you have to pay for the pro version.

Duncan: get an older version of comodo from www.oldversion.com

12. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

did the screen had a countdown like thing at the end of the screen ?
    If yes then its caused by hardware failure which in case would have been caused by over utilising the cpu and overheating.

13. Loonylion

not necessarily. the countdown (actually a count up) is a memory dump and the length of time it lasts is directly related to how much ram you have. If you don't have very much and/or windows is not configured to dump the entire memory, it will be very quick.

14. Duncan Idaho

@Loonylion thanks, i'll be going with the 5.5 rev as i think that was my previous version.

Post Merge: [time]1398101115[/time]

this is getting annoying, uninstalling and the laptop ran perfectly, as soon as i installed the older version windows insists on loading startup repair for no reason, i said no i logged in normally and my laptop shut itself down for no reason so when i turned it on, bam startup repair.

And now everything went downhill, the restore point has now caused a mayor problem, technically comodo is not installed on my PC now but it also is installed on my PC, the system files are there but i cannot remove them, comodo offers to fix that so i said ok, now reset the laptop, i do that and the problem still persists.
    Post Merge: [time]1398143220[/time]
    Seems that comodo caused more problems than they are worth, several files of my manga collection and some executable files became damaged.

15. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

ok :) i say this type of bsod on my friends pc where the graphics card was causing this due to inadequet power supply

16. Loonylion

bad hardware is only one of a multitude of possible causes for a BSOD. That's why it's so important to have the stop code (the hexdecimal number) because that tells exactly what type of BSOD it is, narrowing down the possible causes to hopefully 3 or 4.