1. This forum is in read-only mode.

art mediums?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by marvelguyx, Jun 3, 2010.

1. marvelguyx

marvelguyx New Member

i love to draw and paint people, but i'm kind of getting bored of using just regular pencil. i was wondering if there was another medium anyone else likes to use when drawing people, i'm thinking about experimenting.

2. Fathus

Fathus Member

Oil pastels. They give the same textures as paint, but they're a dry medium so you can mess around with them more. Wouldn't go for them if you're into clean lines though.

Thin lining pens and watercolour paints. They're lovely together. Especially if you've got a style that can pull it off.

If it's your first time using the new medium and you're not sure about it, buy cheap ones. Then you can mess around and get to grips with the medium before you do anything serious.

3. olliebot

olliebot Well-Known Member

Do quick sketches in pencil, then transfer it to lino or autocut film. The latter of which need a silkscreen, and certain procedures to be learned. You can also try one of my personal favourites, scratchboards. There's also a shittonne of markers/pens/inks you can use. You can try oil pastels or different types of paints. Personal favourite paint is oil.

4. seriaku

seriaku Well-Known Member

Sketching is a good start, so it helps you get used to figures and shapes to draw.

5. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

Try cutting shapes out with colored paper.

6. ianuntilnow

ianuntilnow New Member

photography.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

im no artist but I do take photos

btw the plural of medium is media.

8. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Thin lining pens, pencil crayons or pastels (either oil or chalk).

You can always try mixing different mediums into one, as Fathus said, pen and watercolor complement each other well. Pencil crayons go well with any sort of pastels from what I've seen from it too.

Charcoal is good too.

All in all experiment with different styles, pen drawings I feel are great for a sketch type look. Charcoal's good for messy realism etc. Experiment, as long as you can bother with being messy as far as pastel and especially charcoal, you'll be fine.

It can be both mediums or media, both is technically correct.

9. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

I thought it was people who could channel spiritual paintings.

10. ketekikan

ketekikan New Member

a paint for cars in a plastic surface. it produces an opaque color, a fine texture. but it dries quickly, so, you have to be careful. :)

11. manaseater

manaseater Well-Known Member

Both are technically correct.