1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Any tech-minded people here able to repair handhelds? NOW with PICS!

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by M_U_Lations, Mar 29, 2015.

1. M_U_Lations

M_U_Lations Active Member

Hello and thanks in advance. I suppose you could view this posting as a 'job notification', aimed at those with the required skills....

I've got a few PSPs and DSs that are in various non-working states. (I bought them knowing this, with the intent to have them repaired at a later date) Each has a different issue, from messed up screens to not being able to turn on at all. One PSP, in particular, has a very bizarre issue...it comes on and plays just fine, but it has weird bubble-like patterns along the bottom of the screen that look like clusters of frog eggs. (??)
    Also, one of my sexy silver 3000s just went DEAD on me, one day, seemingly without cause or warning. (This particular model had been previously hacked)

In exchange for your services I can offer you sweet trade goods, my admiration and respect, and good 'ol $$$. Allowing these 'aging warriors' to continue to collect dust in a dark closet seems like a terrible shame - can you help?

**Please, only trusted/well known members need apply. I (obviously) cannot send valued goods of any sort to non-established members; this should not require further explanation**

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Re: Any tech-minded people here able to repair handhelds?

it depends specifically what the problems are, I imagine screen replacements are relatively common. Not turning on at all would be a harder fix and might not be fixable.

3. M_U_Lations

Yeah. Well either way, it seems worth a shot. And if a given system cannot be saved, maybe it can be salvaged for usable components?

I know that two of the original DSs have cracked (inner?) screens. They turn on and light right up, but one of their two screens has a pattern that looks like a window that has been busted by a baseball, if I'm making any sense.

One of the PSPs I (sadly) butchered myself, being an impatient and forceful fool. See, I was putting on a new clear shell that I got from a friend and while screwing in the final screw, I pressed way too hard and drove the screw through the face portion, actually nicking the LCD. :-[

4. Loonylion

maybe, maybe not. if it doesnt power up its rather hard to tell if any of the other components are good or not.

They'd be screen replacements.

I've never repaired consoles, but I have replaced screens on laptops so I might be open to giving it a go.

5. M_U_Lations

That sounds great. Now, when you say you have never repaired "consoles", does this include handhelds?

I'm so paranoid about things like hair, dust, moisture, etc. getting into things when I dare open them up...this is why this sort of fiddling is not for me!

If it suits you, I can get a pic or three of the handhelds in question.

6. Loonylion

yes, I've dismantled a PS3 a couple of times but that's it. Never had anything to do with the newer generation handhelds, my newest handheld is a GBA SP.

7. M_U_Lations

Ah. I'd be terrified to do something like that, heh. I mean, sure, I took apart my share of 2600s and systems of that era, but I'm not getting into lasers, disc drives, and that mess.

I'm going to take a few pics of the handhelds in question, along with descriptions of what seems to be wrong with them, and send them off to you.

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Try getting in touch with this guy as he's somewhat of an expert at this kind of repairs:

https://www.youtube.com/user/lukemorse1/about

...of course you will have to pay for air freight as well as for his services though :)

9. M_U_Lations

OK, here are most of 'em. I wish the pics were of better quality, but they are what they are. Odd, as I took them on a current 'Air Pad'. (or whatever the hell it's called)
    Sadly, my 10-year-old Canon digital camera takes better pics, but it doesn't play well with this friggin iMac.

Here are the regular DSs. The blue one, though cosmetically nice, won't come on at all. The silver one, well, you can see:

[​IMG]

...and this black Lite, which works just fine but has a sickly green/flickering upper screen (?):

[​IMG]

These PSPs won't come on at ALL. One is missing the little nub and is pretty roughed up. The sweet silver 3000 was my default system for years, until one day it became 'bricked':
    (I even have the fat battery/extender batter cover and all. :()

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see here where I screwed up:

[​IMG]

....And here is my growing collection of supercool Re-Action figures, for those that appreciate the cooler things in life:
    (The Buffy stuff belongs to my wife...I'm not into that crap, ha.)

[​IMG]

8)

10. Loonylion

silver DS needs a new screen, black one possibly a new screen and/or new inverter. Clear PSP is a new screen job also. Wouldn't like to say about the ones that don't power on, could be anything from a dead battery to a damaged power jack or a fried board.

11. M_U_Lations

I see, thanks.
    I might not want to bother with the original DSs, I prefer the Lites hands down. Although I'm hopeful, I really don't expect to have all three PSPs fully restored. I'd like to focus on the silver 3000 and maybe one black 1000. (salvage parts between the three and maybe save me a few bucks, or?)
    I'm sure you know about and use places like 'Deal Xtreme' and similar, typically Chinese-based places that sell all the components and whatnots on the cheap?

Lemme know what you think. Oh, are you in the States?

12. Loonylion

No, I'm in the UK. I do know about dealextreme and aliexpress. Ebay is also actually a good source of parts if you know what you're looking for.

13. M_U_Lations

Ah, gotcha. In theory, what sort of a parts budget do you think you'd require, per PSP? (I know this will obviously be an estimate, as you can't possibly know everything that might be wrong from a few pictures.) I haven't looked in a while, but I know that most components can be had for a few dollars each, so give me a nice round 'catch all' number, if you can please.

Assuming you'd be up for taking on the job(s), what sort of compensation did you have in mind?

Thanks

14. Loonylion

screens are around 16ish USD apiece for PSP (plus shipping), NDS ones are slightly less, if I have to buy new. If its possible to reuse parts from other consoles (like if the motherboard is fried, the lcd might be OK to put in a one with a busted lcd) then obviously it wouldnt always be necessary to buy parts. Screens are the only parts I can say for sure I might need. 25 usd per PSP should cover parts, since I can always put budget not needed for one towards another if it needs more parts.

I generally have a negotiated hourly rate and work based on how long it takes to complete a job. I can't make any promises about the ones that don't turn on, but the cracked/punctured screens are almost definitely fixable.