1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Alan Wake

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Natewlie, May 18, 2010.

1. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Anyone excited for this? After seeing a couple reviews, a couple videos and finally the Bright Fall miniseries (which is great by the way), I'm excited. I wish I ordered it a bit before but eh, whatever.

The game looks good and the story looks good. If it's as good as Max Payne, I'm happy.

Also, if Alan was looking for ancient treasure, he'd be Alan Drake.

If Alan was taking a pause from his work, he'd be Alan Break.

If Alan was stealing something, he'd be Alan Take.

If Alan was creating something, he'd be Alan Make.

If Alan was doing the leaves outside during the fall, he'd be Alan Rake.

If Alan was doing something with other people, he'd be Alan Partake.

If Alan was cooking, he'd be Alan Bake.

If Alan was swimming, he'd be Alan Lake.

If Alan wasn't real, he'd be Alan Fake.

If Alan was dancing, he'd be Alan Shake.

If Alan was a clone of Big Boss, he'd be Alan Snake.

If Alan was eating red meat, he'd be Alan Steak.

If Alan had to suddenly stop, he'd be Alan Brake.

If Alan had dandruff, he'd be Alan Flake.

If Alan had a problem with his teeth, he'd be Alan toothache.

If Alan was playing a the first 3D FPS, he'd be Alan Quake.

If Alan had to kill a vampire he'd be Alan Stake.

2. Yutrzenika

Yutrzenika Well-Known Member

I'm going to rent it first. Don't get me wrong, the game look AWESOME. But does it have replay value? Is it long? Et cetera. That said, if I like it, I'll buy it, but I have higher priority games in my head right now, like Red Dead Redemption

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...but what happens if this ends up like Heavy rain...

(I have no idea what this game is all about, and no point telling me-I haz google)

4. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

..What about it?

Alan Wake is a psychological thriller, I don't know much about the story besides the mini series (which I recommend, it's very good). The gameplay is similar to RE in my eyes but looks fun and dynamic with the necessity of a flashlight or light in general. Single player only game, made by the guys who made Max Payne.

Watching a review wouldn't hurt either.

5. rpgirl

rpgirl Well-Known Member

;) Just got my copy yesterday and it looks really really good although I have read that people are having trouble with finding enough bullets to stay alive in this game. Anyhow, since this is a thriller almost like RE, the controls are smooth and graphics are awesome. We don't get a lot of horror/thriller games on the Xbox 360 that much so Alan Wake is definitely worth it:)

P:S: Also just included in my library are Prince of Persia and Red Dead Redemption...:)

6. Yutrzenika

Isn't there supposed to be a Episodic stuff for this game? I heard the first one is free.

7. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Yeah, first one's free the rest are 800 points and are supposedly an episode long (which is an hour).

From what I've payed for the game, it's about 6 chapters, so that's 60$ so.. okay..

The game is solid, I think I'm on chapter 5 I think? Awesome, has the writing stylings of a novel and the format of a television show (Previously on Alan Wake). Also the soundtrack is awesome.

8. Yutrzenika

So only about 6 hours long, eh? I might get it when the price drops a bit, and if they can make a lot of episodes for it to make it just as long.

9. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

It's actually about 10 hours or so, average single player only game length.

I'm pretty sure I'm on the last hour or half an hour, I'm pretty far in the 6th chapter.

While some people may say that the enemies have no variation (I agree with this) but the combat is fun enough for me to forgive that and the atmosphere is great enough to forgive any bad parts about the game imo. If you're one into stories this is probably the game to get. And the lighting in the game is probably the best I've seen, awesome dynamic lighting for any source, the flashlights, the flares, flashbangs, etc.

Right now I'm taking a break, I'm creeped out a bit at the moment.

Ending is weird and vague and changes the entire story up to a certain point.

[me=Natewlie]waits for The Signal DLC.[/me]

10. rick4ever

rick4ever Well-Known Member

Alan wake for god sake, i have to buy this game =D. But one question: Does this game freaks you out sometimes? Or is it more like, you know what's going to happen all the time, so it doesn't really freaks you out?

11. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

It's not scary, no game is, or has been, ever.

It's a very unsettling and creepy game that'll make you jump even though you know it's there (there was a big truck trying to run me over at one point, everytime it hit me, I jumped).

Also, it's unsettling mostly because in the darkness, you can be attacked anywhere, but you don't know when.

12. rick4ever

rick4ever Well-Known Member

Ah okay. Thanks for the good response.

13. allkratos

allkratos Well-Known Member

Meh,I think the deferred lighting in Crysis 2 is gonna be the most advance form of lighting.

14. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Farenheit. And I LOVE Farenheit
    Post Merge: [time]1274772745[/time]
    When is this coming out?

15. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Stop comparing games to Crysis.

Nothing like Farenheit, and it's out now.

Also, in episode 4 there's a picture on the wall where if you have Microsoft tag reader it will scan it and dial a number. The number is 1-857-239-7601.

[​IMG]

And there's another one in chapter 6: 1-857-239-7600.

16. omgwtfitzben

omgwtfitzben Well-Known Member

I didn't have enough money so I watched a guy who does gameplay+commentary beat it, it was well worth watching. Wish I could have played. But since Red Dead came out on the same day, I was planing on saving up for that. I'm getting Red Dead this weekend, but don't get me wrong, Alan Wake was amazing, like a movie. Loved the story, graphics and voice acting. I wasn't that big of a fan on the somewhat repetitiveness though, it was like they tried to make it not repetitive by getting upgrades and having a few unique puzzles, but it was like go here, and here, you can wonder off to there and get a manuscript and then go back, oh shit, got to shine my flashlight on that dude then kill him. They could have made way better bosses, but hey, it's a different type of game so I liked it.

17. allkratos

What's wrong if i compare a feature from one and a game with the same feature.I just hope the developer does not say this is the first game to introduce dynamic lighting.

18. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

You do it in every topic and the comparison is often times ridiculous. Of course Crysis 2 has better graphics, it's a PC game, no need to state the obvious, especially since it's so irrelevant.

All I said was that the dynamic lighting was fantastic, I did not say that they were the first to implement it, and it's stupid to think that Remedy will say "we were the first".

19. allkratos

I think Crysis 2 is going to be on consoles too.I said i just hope,not accusing you of saying it.

20. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

It is, but THIS HAD NOTHING to do with the topic at hand.

...I prefer to read...thanks nat, you saved me some time.