1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Affiliation?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fogWraith, Nov 21, 2006.

1. fogWraith

fogWraith Active Member

I almost thought the system to be automatic there for a second, not that I'm going to start whining and stuff like that. But it's manually updated or something? =P

I'd like some more info on it.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Can't remember how it works, but I think the site needs to be checked manually to ensure it meets the criteria for affiliated sites.

although I also thought it was automatic, and non-complying sites subsequently got removed.

3. fogWraith

fogWraith Active Member

The post for the affiliation rules can't be found, so it randomly picks a topic or something... I don't know. But I added my site and it didn't show ... not that popular yet though ;P

4. Loonylion

oops, needs to be redone after the server crash last month; I'll inform seph.

5. fogWraith

fogWraith Active Member

Crashes, eugh... almost as bad as moving stuff over to a new server, all the new settings and all that. Takes some time to reconfigure and recode most parts of the scripts =/

6. Loonylion

We had backups of most things, just not the forum. Suffered a considerably amount of downtime while the datacenter techs were running around looking for a hard disk big enough :p

we are in the process of rolling out upgrades that will prevent this happening in future: watch the announcements forum ;)

7. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure what I want to do with the affiliation system, so it's disabled for the moment, I've had second thoughts after originally coding it. If you have a serious emulation related site then of course we're not unreasonable.

8. fogWraith

fogWraith Active Member

I believe my site is available by clicking the link in my signature, and I am serious of course. It's a work in progress so any feedback is welcome, open for everything.

9. Seph

Definitly nice, it's clean and cool, I like the use of ajax too, it takes a little time to get used to not having to use the back button but after that's done it's a breeze browsing for games, I even fell for the search clicksor thing once.

All you need now is more roms. :)

Anyway I enabled your site, once you've sent your first visitor it'll get listed.

10. fogWraith

fogWraith Active Member

Mucho thanks ;)

While not working on improving the code, I'll be adding the roms, and everything has to be done manually.. kind of a tedious task to unpack a game, play it and take screenshots, then pack it back down with proper names for my system, adding screenshots and putting it all in the database. =/

11. Seph

Hehe my system is mostly automatic.

I have to download, extract, rename, compress, upload and then click a button. At that point it checks the file name for info such as release id, language etc. So it's not too bad.

12. Loonylion

hmm... maybe I should introduce [brag] bb code tags for seph... :p

13. fogWraith

fogWraith Active Member

I could probably automate the process if I wanted, however - I am quite the lazy bastard when it comes to things like that, especially when there is little or no money in it ;P

Though whatever spare time I have, I can throw at it.

14. Loonylion

hehe, you and me both ;)

15. 33333

33333 Guest

i'm just curious about teh ..sori *teh = the* my fingers type fast at times.
    yea as i was asking - the affiliates rules.. maby i didn't look hard enough... but can someone point me in teh direction to it?

i'd like to know what r the requirements. :p

16. Seph

We haven't written any rules mainly because we judge on a per case basis.

But you'd need to be of a related subject, something that would benefit out visitors, you'd also need a semi decent amount of visitors per day, we recieve about 2k at the moment. We don't demand an equal amount but 25 a day isn't enough to be benefial to us, unless you're site is truly so good that we see it being big in the future.