1. This forum is in read-only mode.

3D unhealty for young children, warns Nintendo

Discussion in 'General News' started by athemoe, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Source

(yes, I did copy/paste ::))

According to Nintendo boss Reggie Fils-Aime, entering the next gaming dimension might not be a great idea for all players.
    Nintendo 3DS

Speaking to Kotaku during the E3 2010 conference, Fils-Aime warned that very young children shouldn't play 3D systems -- including the company's upcoming 3DS handheld, which boasts full 3D visuals without requiring special glasses.

"We will recommend that very young children not look at 3D images," he told the site. "That's because, [in] young children, the muscles for the eyes are not fully formed... This is the same messaging that the industry is putting out with 3D movies, so it is a standard protocol."

Fils-Aime believes children "under seven" should avoid using 3D technology. That could prove problematic for Nintendo, a company bursting with kid-friendly brands destined to act as showpieces for their 3D-enabled portable. The good news? The 3DS isn’t solely a 3D device; players can use a slider to toggle the intensity of the 3D effect. Turning 3D "off" renders the image in traditional flat 2D.

The 3DS, which is due out by March of next year, enjoyed rave reviews by the lucky few who experienced it firsthand at E3. Nintendo hopes the device will ultimately take the wind out of 3D leader Sony's sails, although Sony boss Kaz Hirai considers the 'naked eye' portable to be "imprecise."

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...3-D tv's have the same warnings that video games and consoles give out.

Least it's not the virtual boy, it was THAT BAD!

3. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

That is why you can turn off the 3D, or just lower the effects down.

4. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Or just to save battery :)

5. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

They would probably only be playing pokemon anyways, which doesn't require 3D.

That was the only game we talked about back in 1st grade.

6. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

i didnt even pplay pokemon till like 4 grade, oh, wait, thats when the first pokemon game came out, never mind

7. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

I would only play 3D when I feel like it, otherwise I would off the 3D feature ;D

8. mrsmes

mrsmes Guest

Long live 3d and 2d and 2.5d which is 2 and a half dimensional which is what the first game of super smash bros was on nintendo 64 because you can't move forwards and backwards only, jump left, jump right, jump, attack, use item.

9. DoktorP

DoktorP Active Member

one of the main boons to the analog slider to change the intensity of the 3d imaging is that no two pair of eyes are the same. some people cannot watch 3d movies due to the strain it puts on the eyes and that they cannot see the image clearly. my girlfriend is that way. so being able to modify the intensity will greatly improve sales vs. having only on and off. just my 2 cents...

10. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

but whats the point of having a 3DS if you just going to turn off the 3D?

11. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

awesome games. yes metal gear solid for a 7 year old kid! I played call of duty when I was 5.

12. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

the only reason to get MGS 3D is to play with 3D... if you turn off the 3D, you might play the original on PS2.

13. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

i believe some new stuff is added aswell

14. Yeah, I was thinking that to.
    Than you better can have a
    crappy DSL like mine :)!

15. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

Doubtful all the games with be 3d also i might turn it off it if get headache since i always get them while watching 3d movies

16. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

3DS includes another,"wow" feature for what the NDS does not have. Nintendo could have just made an expansion pack for what they did in the N64. It is undoubtedly one of the more pleasuable forms of gameplay, but if the kids don't get a piece of the action then they will have to settle for NDS.

Children end up spending quality time on new high tech gadgetry all the time. I have been playing video games since I was five and I do not have any problems with any of my eyes. The games inside the instruction manuals even warn kids that it MIGHT cause SEIZURES so beware.

17. klaimore

klaimore Well-Known Member

I won't buy a 3DS. Cleaning my hands off Nintendo.

18. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

If you turn off the 3D you would still have a DS with a wider screen, better graphics and a joystick... I still see that as pretty cool... Wait, doesn't that make it like a PSP in DS form?

19. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

yes you will. someday.

20. dills2

dills2 Well-Known Member

not really it makes for a 3d portable slightly powered up wii without motion which is a good thing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.