1. This forum is in read-only mode.

25%+ Hard Disk Space for Defragmentation Rule

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I know this rule used to be very important back when Hard drives were not as huge as what we have these days. But does the rule still hold true?

Let's say you have a 1TB hard drive so 25% of that would be 250GB. 250GB is still pretty big if you ask me and giving up that amount of space for defragmentation still seems excessive. More so if you have a 2TB hard drive where you'd be giving up 500GB of hard drive space.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

it isnt a rule, more of a guideline. The more full the disk is the harder it will be to defrag, because the defrag app needs some space to work with. Personally as long as you have SOME free space (and more than a few hundred MBs, say 10GB at least) you should be fine.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

So 10GB would be enough for the purposes of defragmentation good to know. Thanks loony :)

4. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

http://youtu.be/b6kgS_AwuH0

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

By the way, when Microsoft stops support for Windows 7 next year does that mean we won't receive any system updates anymore?

Let's say I do a reinstall some time next year, does that mean I won't receive any of the previous system updates either?

If so Microsoft are being huge dicks about this.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

end of mainstream support means no new features or minor bug fixes. It will enter a period of extended support, meaning the only new updates provided will be fixes for serious bugs or security fixes. Existing updates will remain available.

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Thanks for the reply loony and one less burden to worry about then :)

BTW, I just noticed I posted the question on the wrong topic...
    [​IMG]