1. This forum is in read-only mode.

1 out of 3 laptops will die in at least 3 years

Discussion in 'General News' started by damanali, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/154921

DUH! Its a laptop, what do they expect? They made a study about that?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Having had a lot of laptops, I have not experienced this. I have a laptop from 1986 that still works, one from about 1993 that still works, one from 1999 that my friend killed (tried to spray paint it, missed one of the holes when covering them with tape and the paint was conductive), 3 from 2005 that still work (one has been through several hard disks and another has no battery), another from 1998 that suffered motherboard damage when the handle on the carrybag snapped (but it still works providing its on a table and doesnt get moved). In fact, out of 10+ laptops in this household, the only dead one is a cheap one my parents bought for my sister several years ago, and it arguably never worked properly in the first place.

3. damanali

i got a laptop back from 2003 and like on 2005-2006 it broke and i was not fixed till this year..what a waste of money it gets broken again with the same problem and kinda bought a new one... and yep, 1/3 laptops...i guess i got the bad one in our house...

4. GhanaChris

GhanaChris Well-Known Member

1 out of 3 laptops will die in at least 3 years....

0 out of 3 laptops will die in at least 3 years with a MacBook, MacBookPro, MacBookAir ;-)

5. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

But you won't be able to use them for anything fun, like video games ;)

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I really wouldn't believe that.

7. TirithRR

I believe that laptops are the "throwaway" product of the Computing world. Majority of the users don't upgrade them, and they are more difficult to upgrade than a desktop PC.

I wouldn't be surprised that cheap built laptops from HP, Dell, Gateway, etc. with integrated Intel graphics processors would be tossed after three years. Hell, most users would probably infect their laptops with enough viruses to kill it after 6th months. Or sit on it one day and destroy the screen.

8. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

My hp is ok...

It's slowing down, but I assume viruses or just the amount of programs installed or the insane heat in my room might be the cause.

It's a HP...6830s ???

It plays resident evil 5 on lowest settings eith blue ray drive-not bad :)

9. Trancechaotic

Trancechaotic Active Member

My Dell slowly broke apart (inside and out) over the course of two years. Though I think this is an issue with Dell in general and not laptops as a whole, many people I know with Dell desktops/laptops are very unhappy with them far too quickly after the purchase. I use kid gloves with expensive electronics, but Dell fought like a champ and now the thing won't even turn on because it doesn't acknowledge power cords. When it did turn on it was blisteringly slow so I guess it's doing me a favor.

10. TirithRR

Funny thing is, I have two dell laptops at work, the oldest one is perfectly fine (other than the battery needs to be replaced, it only holds a charge for about 30 minutes). It's about 5 or 6 years old. My newest one is a Dell Vostro. It is a year old and still runs as good as day one. No issues at all.

But I take care of them. Don't install crap, etc.

11. mininggast

mininggast Member

Thats how a computer should be taken care of. Respectivly (hmm spell check)
    Its still pretty fragile from the inside and sometimes from the outside.

I just completed digging out our garage, and I found a nice little laptop from 1997. Good old Win95 <3

12. JayBlue

JayBlue Well-Known Member

I've had this laptop (Dell Inspiron 2200) since 2004, and is working normally up till now,the only two problems it got were:
    1:The disk drive stopped working for no reason(replaced)
    2: the battery died( but i could replace it ;))
    Example of my laptop:
    [​IMG]

13. klaimore

klaimore Well-Known Member

Seriously? I have a LG laptop, for about a yr now. Is LG as good as Dell, etc?

14. JayBlue

JayBlue Well-Known Member

I've never heard any bad critics about LG

15. damanali

same, but i would to see testimonials that would put the pro's and the cons... like for example, when i had my laptop fixed...i commented that it had a good sound system and the repair guy told me that compaq boost itself due to its sounds but problems with its graphics...well, from laptops perspective anyways...

16. redoperator

redoperator Well-Known Member

mines starting to slow down... if I get another lap top, the acer aspire that I'm using WILL get cannibalized for either another laptop or a tower computer...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.